What is Zepto Ransomware
Zepto Ransomware is file encrypting virus which is from the Locky family of viruses. It actually uses a new strong algorithm RSA-2048 and then it appends .zepto extensions to the encrypted files. The virus modifies the filenames with new set of letters and numbers. The first part of this filenames is that it sets the personal ID that will be used to ransom and get the files totally decryptor.The usual ransom amount will be set as 0.5 Bicoins which is equivalent to $365.Zepto virus creates _HELP_instructions.html with clear instructions to make the ransom payment. This file also contains the links to tor2web.org and onion.to websites which are using the TOR Hidden services gateways. The main use of using the TOR browser is to protect the creators of this virus from tracking.Here we have given clear instructions and guides to remove the Zepto virus and decrypt all the affected files with the .zepto extensions.
How to remove Zepto Ransomware manually
We currently don’t recommend to remove the Zepto Ransomware manually, for more better solution use automatic Removal Tools.
Select the Safe Mode
To proceed with the manual removal method, you need to terminate the normal mode, and reboot the infected system in the safe mode. This can be done by restarting your computer, and when the system is in restarting process, you have to open the boot options menu with the help of F8 key, and select the safe mode option from the list of different options to boot your computer in the safe mode.
Remove the Associated Processes
The next step is, killing of the malicious processes associated with the Sparktrust PC Cleaner. You can do this by accessing the windows task manager which can be opened by holding the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together. Once you are able to see the task manager window, you have to click on the processes tab , and delete following process from the list of running processes:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Zepto Ransomware files:
Remove the Corrupt Registry Entries
You have to delete the malicious registry entries created by this dangerous malware to complete the manual removal process. In order to clean the windows registry from these corrupt entries, you need to access the registry editor with the help of Regedit command which can be executed through the Run option available in the Start menu. Following are the entries that are required to be deleted:-
Zepto Ransomware registry keys:
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Zepto Ransomware\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Zepto Ransomware
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Zepto Ransomware\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Zepto Ransomware\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Zepto Ransomware\DisplayName Zepto Ransomware
Restart the computer in the normal mode, and see the effect of changes you have made during the manual removal process.
Disclaimer: Altering your windows registry items and other computer files should only be attempted by knowledgeable computer users. Errors in registry items may lead to some technical problems affecting other aspects of your machine. We advise you to attempt all these manual steps at your own risk, or else it is better use the Automatic removal tool below.
Download Zepto Ransomware Removal Tool