The superfish.com is a serious threat to any windows based platform, and categorized as a nasty browser hijacker. Once installed, the superfish.com performs redirections whenever you try to open any website, besides that, your screen will be flooded with the annoying pop-up ads. This malicious browser hijacker modifies all the basic settings related to your online activity including the homepage, default search engine, default browser, and desktop background. The certain system utilities will be disabled as soon as the superfish.com enters in the system. These utilities include the registry editor, task manager, antivirus, and windows firewall. You are unable to open executable files because of this browser hijacker, and all these activities are performed to avoid detection or removal through normal security software. This malicious application brings huge number of useless files inside the local partition of your hard drive due to which you will experience huge decrease in the speed of the system. The superfish.com is used by the cyber crooks to record your online activities, and steal your most confidential personal details like credit card details, emails, and passwords.
The Manual Removal of www.superfish.com
Once this browser hijacker sneaks in the system, you have to take immediate steps to delete this virus as quickly as possible. There are manual as well as automatic options available through which you can delete the superfish.com infection. The manual removal instructions are detailed as under:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
To boot the infected system in the safe mode you have to restart the PC, and hit the F8 key repeatedly to access the boot options menu. Once the boot options appears on the screen, select the safe mode option from the list, and press the Enter key to boot the system in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
You have to access the windows task manager by remaining in the safe mode. When the task manager is accessed through Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys, you have to click on the Processes tab where you can see a list of processes running the background of your machine. You must remove the following malicious processes associated with the superfish.com virus:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
After completing the processes issue, you have to open the file explorer and remove the following associated files of the superfish.com virus from the system files folder immediately by using the Delete key:-
- %Desktopdir%\www.superfish.com Virus.lnk
- %Programs%\www.superfish.com Virus\www.superfish.com Virus.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
To clean the windows registry you must access the registry editor by clicking on the start menu, select “Run”, and write “regedit.exe” before pressing the “OK” button. Once the registry editor is accessed, delete the following malicious entries that are associated with this lethal browser hijacker:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\www.superfish.com Virus\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\www.superfish.com Virus
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\www.superfish.com Virus\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\www.superfish.com Virus\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\www.superfish.com Virus\DisplayName www.superfish.com Virus
The manual removal process is completed, and now you have to restart the system in the normal mode to see the effect of manual removal efforts.