The wrapper.z5x.net is the new variation of recently discovered browser hijackers that are developed, and distributed by the cyber crooks to bring new troubles to the windows based systems, and achieve their illegal motives. The wrapper.z5x.net can infect all the major browsers, including the Internet Explorer, Firefox, Google Chrome, and Safari. There are several channels through which this malicious application is distributed by the hackers. These sources, including the social media, infected removable devices, freeware downloads, file sharing networks, and unsafe browsing. Once this nasty browser hijacker gets in the system, it changes the basic settings in your computer that includes the home page, default search provider, DNS settings, windows firewall, and desktop background. Besides that, you cannot access the system utilities such as task manager and registry editor. You will notice that whenever you try to surf on the web, you will be redirected towards phishing websites. You will also receive a number of pop-up messages on the screen of your system because of the presence of this infection. This nasty browser hijacker collects your confidential information such as credit card numbers, payment details, and passwords.
Removal of wrapper.z5x.net
After confirming the presence of the wrapper.z5x.net browser hijacker, you are required to remove this infection from your computer at your earliest. You can use the automatic tools to delete this virus from the system completely. The manual removal of this virus is also possible, but only recommended for the advanced level users that is detailed below:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
You must boot the infected computer in the safe mode to proceed further in the manual removal of this browser hijacker. In this regard, restart the computer, and hit the F8 key repeatedly to see the list of options. Select the safe mode from the list before pressing the Enter button to start the system in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
After accessing the safe mode, you have to hold the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together to open the windows task manager, and select the processes tab to see a list of processes. Remove the following associated processes of the wrapper.z5x.net before closing the task manager:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].ex
Remove the Associated Data
Access the system files folder by using the file explorer, and remove the following suspicious files by using the Delete key:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
In the last step of this process, you need to access the registry editor by executing the RegEdit.exe command through Run option available in the Start Menu. Delete the following suspicious entries associated with this nasty browser hijacker one by one:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\wrapper.z5x.net\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\wrapper.z5x.net\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\wrapper.z5x.net\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\wrapper.z5x.net\DisplayName wrapper.z5x.net
Restart the system in the normal mode after closing the registry editor, and run a complete system scan through an updated version of your current antivirus program.