The Worm. Small. Y is a malicious application that can slow down the speed, and reduce the performance of any computer by occupying most of the resources of the computer. Once it is installed on any computer, the normal processes of the system are stopped and malicious files are installed in the computer to disturb the normal working and functionality of the PC. As soon as the Worm. Small. Y installed on your computer, it disables the antivirus program and other security tools on the computer. Besides that, it has the ability to steal your financial information like credit card details, and also perform numerous dangerous tasks on your computer. After installing it on any computer, it will present itself as legitimate software and performs fake scans on the computer. It has the ability to redirect all your searches by changing the homepage settings of your browser; besides that, it also changes your default search engine. Once you are aware of this threat on your computer, you need to remove it quickly to minimize the level of loss.
Manual Removal of Worm.Small.Y
After making sure that your computer is infected from Worm.Small.Y, you need to find a way to remove this tricky malware. You can remove this malicious application either by using any automatic removal tool, or through the manual removal method. The manual removal method is complicated for the new users but not impossible, and consists of the following steps:-
Restart the Computer in Safe Mode
Once you select to remove this threat manually, you have to restart the computer and use F8 key to see the boot option menu. Once you are able to view the boot options on your screen, you have to select the safe mode option and press enter to start the computer in safe mode.
Kill the Associated Process
After starting the computer in safe mode, it becomes possible for you to end the malicious processes associated with the Worm.Small.Y. In this regard, you have to hold Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together to start the task manager, and choose the Processes tab to kill the following processes:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Delete Files and Folders
Once you are able to finish the end process job, you have to get rid of the following files as well as folders related to the Worm. Small. Y:-
Delete Associated Registry Entries
The manual removal process cannot consider as complete unless you are unable to clean the windows registry. In this regard, you have to start the registry editor by executing the “Regedit” command through “Run” option available in the Start menu. Once the registry editor started, you have to navigate and delete the following malicious registry entries:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Worm.Small.Y\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Worm.Small.Y\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Worm.Small.Y\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Worm.Small.Y\DisplayName Worm.Small.Y
Once the entries are removed, you have to close the registry editor, and restart the computer in safe mode to see the effect of manual removal process.