The Wmdefender.exe is another malicious program that is created by the cyber crooks recently to infect the windows based systems all over the world. Mostly the Wmdefender.exe is bundled with the additional parasites, and spread through the spam email attachments, removable drives, p2p networks, and downloading freeware. Once installed, it immediately changes the windows registry by adding the malicious entries, and disable your antivirus program to open the backdoor for the additional threats. Moreover, this extremely dangerous computer virus records your online activity to access your personal as well as financial details such as bank accounts/credit card details, emails, and shopping passwords to make you a victim of the identity theft. The Wmdefender.exe is a resource eater due to which the infected system becomes very slow in responding. This malicious application blocks your access to many of your crucial programs and most accessed data folders due to which it becomes impossible for you to perform your daily tasks freely.
The Manual Removal of Wmdefender.exe
After confirming that the Wmdefender.exe is present in your computer, you need to learn different methods of removing this virus. You can get rid of this malicious application with the help of any powerful automatic removal tool and also manually. The manual removal of this malicious application is not an easy process for the new users as it involves several complicated steps that are mentioned below:-
Start the System in Safe Mode
Before start removing the Wmdefender.exe manually, you have to reboot the computer, and use the F8 button repeatedly to see the boot option menu. Select the safe mode option from the list of available options and press the enter key to terminate the normal mode, and restart the system in the safe mode.
Kill the Associated Processes
After restarting the system in the safe mode, you have to delete the associated processes of this threat. These malicious processes are visible under the processes tab in the windows task manager which can be accessed through Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys. You have to delete the following malicious processes related to this virus :-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Delete the Associated Files
Once these processes are removed successfully, you have to delete the related data of this application. In this regard, you have to delete the following files:-
- %Desktopdir%\Wmdefender.exe virus.lnk
- %Programs%\Wmdefender.exe virus\Wmdefender.exe virus.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
After completing the above mentioned steps, you have to clean the windows registry by removing the corrupt additions made by the Wmdefender.exe. Access the registry editor by clicking on the start menu, select run, and type regedit in the box. Once you are able to see the windows task manager, you have to remove the following entries quickly and close the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Wmdefender.exe virus\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Wmdefender.exe virus
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Wmdefender.exe virus\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Wmdefender.exe virus\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Wmdefender.exe virus\DisplayName Wmdefender.exe virus
Reboot the computer once again in the normal mode and run a system scan through your antivirus program.