The Windows Efficiency Console is a nasty scareware that is classified as a rogue application discovered recently. This malicious application presents itself as a legitimate antivirus software, but actually this is a serious threat for the security of your computer. Once the Windows Efficiency Console make its way to your computer, it starts performing fake scans, and threaten the user by showing dangerous errors on the computer. This malicious application distributed through hacked websites, and bundled with freeware. This is a nasty rogue application created by the cyber criminals to trap the targeted user, and steal his money through frauds. Once this nasty program invades the computer, it will make your system very slow by inviting other parasites in it. This rogue application gains the complete control of your PC by changing the default settings. Most of the already installed application cannot be accessed, and you are unable to download any new security software.
Removal of Windows Efficiency Console
After knowing that the Windows Efficiency Console is available inside the system, you have to find an effective way to remove this dangerous rogue application. If you are a novice or average computer user, you have to take the help of any reliable automatic removal tool. The manual removal method is also available in this regard that consists of the following steps:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
You cannot access some important system utilities by remaining in the normal mode of operation due to which it is important that you start the system in the safe mode before proceeding to the manual removal method. Restart the computer and access the boot options menu by striking the F8 key repeatedly. Once you are able to see the list of boot options, choose the Safe Mode, and press the Enter key.
End the Malicious Processes
Open the task manager by pressing the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together, and click on the processes tab under the task manager window to find as well as remove the following associated processes of the Windows Efficiency Console:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].ex
Remove the Associated Data
Once the associated processes of this rogue application are removed successfully, you have to get rid of the following suspicious files associated with the Windows Efficiency Console:-
- %Desktopdir%\Windows Efficiency Console.lnk
- %Programs%\Windows Efficiency Console\Windows Efficiency Console.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
In the final step of this process, you have to delete the malicious entries created by the Windows Efficiency Console in the windows registry. In this regard, access the registry editor by executing the Regedit command through Run option of the start menu. Once the registry editor is accessed, remove the following corrupt entries before closing the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Windows Efficiency Console\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Windows Efficiency Console
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Windows Efficiency Console\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Windows Efficiency Console\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Windows Efficiency Console\DisplayName Windows Efficiency Console
Reboot the machine in the normal mode to see if the virus is removed successfully or still available. Run a complete system scan through your antivirus program.