The Win32/Rootkit.Avatar is a malicious application which presents itself as a useful software, but actually it is nothing more than a dangerous virus. It has the ability to provide unauthorized remote access of the infected computer to the online criminals. These hackers use this access to steal the crucial information from the infected computer and use it for online crimes. This information may include the credit card details of the user, emails, passwords, and browsing habits. The Win32/Rootkit.Avatar has the ability to utilize the resources of the infected computer due to which the performance of the computer got affected badly. This malicious application has the ability to access the administrative control of the computer. It can easily avoid the antivirus program, and it also changes the important settings of the infected system. Once detected, you need to remove it quickly from your computer.
Manual Removal Method of Win32/Rootkit.Avatar
The complicated process of manual removal of the Win32/Rootkit.Avatar consists of several steps. Besides the manual removal, you can also remove this extremely dangerous malware through any reliable automatic removal tool. The manual removal method is only recommended for the expert level computer users, and professionals; whereas, the new users can try the automatic removal method. The instructions for manual removal of this virus are mentioned below:-
Start the Computer in Safe Mode
In order to start the manual removal process you first need to reboot the infected system in safe mode instead of the normal mode. In this regard, you have to restart the system, and press F8 key to see the menu of boot options. Here you have to select the safe mode option and hit the enter key.
Delete the Malicious Processes
When the infected system is restarted in the safe mode, you have to start the task manager, and click on the processes tab. Here you can see all the running processes, and you need to select the following processes, before hitting the End Process button:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Delete the Associated Files
After getting over the processes issue you need to delete the associated as well as infected files from your computer. In this regard following are the files that needed to be deleted:-
Delete Registry Entries
After deleting the files, and getting rid of the processes, you have to delete the corrupt registry entries created by this dangerous application in the windows registry. You have to click on the start menu, select the run, and type regedit in the box to see the registry editor. In the registry editor, you have to find and delete the following entries and delete them one by one:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Win32/Rootkit.Avatar\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Win32/Rootkit.Avatar\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Win32/Rootkit.Avatar\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Win32/Rootkit.Avatar\DisplayName Win32/Rootkit.Avatar
Restart the computer in the normal mode in order to see the effect of changes, and run a complete system scan to check the infections caused by this malicious application.