The Wild West is a new variation of the series of Adware infections distributed recently by the international hackers. There are various channels used by the cyber crooks to distribute this nasty Adware, including the hacked web pages, junk mail attachments, freeware downloads, and file sharing networks. This Adware infection always works as a rogue program that is actually designed to force the innocent computer users to buy fake security related products. Once installed, it performs fake scans, and shows threatening results to motivate users to buy the paid versions of the fake security related applications. It also degrades the performance of your system by utilizing a high percentage of the system resources. This malicious Adware can also damage your system by inviting other malware, Adwares, and spyware infections.
Removal of Wild West
Once the Wild West is discovered in the system, you have to find a way to remove this Adware as soon as possible. There are some extremely reliable automatic tools available in this regard. You can also remove this malicious application manually, by following the set of instructions mentioned below:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
A precondition for the manual removal process is, access the system in the safe mode. In this regard, restart the computer to terminate the normal mode of operation, and strike the F8 key repeatedly while the PC is restarted to access the boot options menu. Select the safe mode option, and press the Enter key once you are able to see the list of boot options on your screen.
End the Malicious Processes
After accessing the safe mode operaion, you have to kill the associated processes of the Wild West. Hold the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together to access the task manager, and click on the Processes tab under the task manager window to see a list of processes running in the background of your system. You have to remove the following associated processes of the Wild West: –
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
In the next step, you have to get rid of the following suspicious files associated with the Wild West from the system files folder by using the Delete key:-
- %Desktopdir%\Wild West.lnk
- %Programs%\Wild West\Wild West.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
Once you are able to complete all of the above mentioned steps, it is time to clean the registry section of your operating system. In this regard, click on the start menu, select Run, and type Regedit to access the registry editor. With the help of the registry editor, you have to remove the following malicious entries related to the Wild West:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Wild West\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Wild West
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Wild West\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Wild West\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Wild West\DisplayName Wild West
Restart the computer in the normal mode to see how effectively you have followed the instructions of the manual removal process, and run a complete system scan through your current updated antivirus application.