The WebSearch.Searchboxes.info is a dangerous application that is considered as a computer virus and belongs from the family of browser hijacker viruses. The WebSearch.Searchboxes.info installed on the windows based computers automatically without the consent of the user. Once installed on the computer, the WebSearch.Searchboxes.info changes most of the important browser settings in your default browser like DNS settings, home page, and desktop background. The purpose of all such changes is to get the complete control of your browsing activities. Once installed, this malicious application redirects all your searches to the http:// WebSearch.Searchboxes.info. Besides that this dangerous browser hijacker modify the windows registry as well as the crucial system files. The notorious hackers use this virus as a tool to record the online activities of the targeted user in order to steal the personal financial information. After collecting this information, it will be transferred by this virus to the remote hackers who then use it to collect money through illegal ways.
The Manual Removal of WebSearch.Searchboxes.info
Once this malicious browser hijacker found on your PC, your ultimate goal is to delete this virus as soon as possible. There are automatic as well as manual removal methods available to get rid of this computer virus. The manual removal of the WebSearch.Searchboxes.info is a bit complicated process that consists of the following steps:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
It is necessary that you have to terminate the normal mode of operation in order to start the system in the safe mode. You have to just reboot the system, and use the F8 key while the system is in the process of restarting. You will see a list of boot options from which you have to select the safe mode, and hit the enter key to boot your system in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
Hold the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together in order to start the windows task manager where you can see the list of running processes under the processes tab. You have to remove the following suspicious processes from the list:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
The next step of the manual removal process is getting rid of the corrupt data files that are associated with this application. In this regard, following are some of the suspicious files that you have to delete:-
- %Desktopdir%\WebSearch.Searchboxes.info virus.lnk
- %Programs%\WebSearch.Searchboxes.info virus\WebSearch.Searchboxes.info virus.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
Open the registry editor by executing the “Regedit” command through “Run” option available in the “Start menu”. Once the registry editor is accessed, you have to delete the following malicious entries:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\WebSearch.Searchboxes.info virus\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\WebSearch.Searchboxes.info virus
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\WebSearch.Searchboxes.info virus\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\WebSearch.Searchboxes.info virus\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\WebSearch.Searchboxes.info virus\DisplayName WebSearch.Searchboxes.info virus
After completing the removal of above mentioned registry entries, you have to close the registry editor before restarting the system in the normal mode. You are also required to run a complete system scan through your antivirus program.