The Websearch.greatresults.info is a malicious virus which is categorized as a dangerous browser hijacker. This malware infects the windows based computers without consent of the user, and can make your system completely useless. Once installed, the Websearch.greatresults.info changes the browser settings that include default search engine, home page, and desktop background. This deadly dangerous browser hijacker can infect all the major browsers including Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, and Saffari. This malicious application is used by the notorious criminals for a number of criminal purposes including generating traffic to the desired websites, stealing confidential information, and promoting the fake products as well as services. The Websearch.greatresults.info is also used to record your online activities and track your shopping preferences as well as browsing habits. Besides that, this malicious application also open backdoor for the additional malware by disabling the antivirus and changing the windows firewall settings.
The Manual Removal of Websearch.greatresults.info
After discovering the Websearch.greatresults.info on your PC you need to confirm its presence. You can remove this malicious browser hijacker either by selecting any reliable automatic removal tool which makes you able to delete this virus within just a few clicks of the mouse or by following the complicated steps of the manual removal method. The instructions for manual removal of this browser hijacker are detailed below:-
Start Your Computer in the Safe Mode
You have to terminate the normal mode of the computer to start the manual removal of Websearch.greatresults.info. In this regard restart the computer and use F8 key to see the boot options where you have to select the safe mode option.
Delete the Processes through Windows Task Manager
Once you are able to start the system in the safe mode, the next step of this process is to delete the malicious processes associated with this threat. The list of processes can be seen under the Processes tab in the windows task manager which can be accessed by holding the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together. From the list of running processes you have to find and delete the following processes :-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Delete the Associated Data
Once the processes issue is over, now you can proceed to the next step of the manual removal in which you have to remove the infected files and folders of this virus. Following are the files that needed to be removed:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
Changes in the windows registry can be carried out through registry editor which can be accessed through the Regedit command that can be executed through Run option available in the start menu. Following are the entries that needed to be removed from the windows registry:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Websearch.greatresults.info\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Websearch.greatresults.info\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Websearch.greatresults.info\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Websearch.greatresults.info\DisplayName Websearch.greatresults.info
After removing the above mentioned entries close the registry editor, and restart the system in the normal mode. Run the complete system scan after updating the current antivirus software.