The Websearch+ is a parasite that comes under the category of search engine hijackers. This malicious application can install on any windows based computer when the user is involved in unsafe browsing, accepting online offers without confirming the authenticity of the publisher, open attachments received through spam emails, or by sharing resources with other computers on the network. Once installed, it makes your browser extremely slow, and hijacks your search engine completely. The basic purpose of the Websearch+ is to encourage the users to buy some products, and increase the traffic on certain websites. This dangerous application not only runs pop-up ads on the screen of the infected computer, but it is also used by the notorious hackers to steal the most confidential information of the users which is being used for the fraudulent purposes.
How to Remove Websearch+ manually?
The Websearch+ must be removed quickly once detected to protect your hardware as well as software resources. You can remove this tricky parasite by following the manual removal instructions. One thing which you need to keep in mind is that, the manual removal method is not suitable for the novice users. Following are the detailed instructions about how to remove the Websearch+ manually:-
Reboot the Computer in the Safe Mode
You cannot remove this malicious application unless you terminate the normal mode, and reboot the system in the safe mode. In this regard, you have to restart the system, and hit F8 key till you are able to see the boot option menu. You have to select the safe mode option, and hit the enter key to restart your computer in the safe mode.
Delete the Malicious Processes
After restarting the system in the safe mode, you have to remove the processes that are attached with the Websearch+. In this regard, you have to hold the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together, and hit the processes tab to find and delete the following malicious processes that are considered as related to this parasite:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Delete the Associated Files
The next step of this complicated process is to get rid of the files and folders related to this virus. You have to open the file explorer and browse to following files that are considered as related to the Websearch+. Once founded, you have to delete them quickly:-
Clean the Windows Registry
You also need to delete the corrupt registry entries. In this regard, start the registry editor by clicking on the start button, select run option, and type regedit. Here you have to find and delete the following malicious entries:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Websearch+\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Websearch+\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Websearch+\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Websearch+\DisplayName Websearch+
Once done with the removal of these entries, you just need to close down the registry editor, and restart the computer to see the effectiveness of the manual removal process. Update your antivirus program, and run a complete system scan.