The Webalta.ru is a malicious application that is actually a Russian website that enters into your computer secretly, and after modifying the system settings without your permission you will suddenly see that your default search engine as well as home page becomes the http://home.webalta.ru. This malicious application presents itself as a personalized search service provider, but in reality it is nothing more than a parasite that can damage your system in a way that it becomes completely useless. The basic aim of this malicious virus is to generate traffic on their website so that they can earn money through unethical ways. Once installed, the Webalta.ru makes the system extremely slow, crashes the browser too often, and reduce the overall performance of the computer. Besides that, it also displays the annoying pop-up ads on the screen of the computer that makes impossible for you to browse normally. It also deletes some of the important system and data files in your computer, and block your access towards some of the important functions of your PC.
The Manual Removal of Webalta.ru
When it is confirmed that the Webalta.ru is present in your system, you have to delete this malicious infection immediately to minimize the damage. There are manual removal method, and automatic removal tools available through which you can delete this parasite. The manual removal method is described as below:-
Start the System in Safe Mode
Restart the infected computer and hit the F8 key repeatedly to access the menu regarding boot options. Select the safe mode option, and press the Enter key to start your computer in the safe mode.
Kill the Associated Processes
Use the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together to access the windows task manager and select the processes tab to see the list of running processes in the background on your machine. You have to find and delete the following processes from the list and close down the windows task manager:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Delete the Associated Files
Open the file explorer, and proceed towards the system files folder where you have to find the following suspicious files hidden along with some critical system files. When you are able to find these files, remove them quickly:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
The final step of this process is to clean the windows registry by removing the entries created by this virus to remain resident in your system. You have to access the registry editor by using the “Regedit.exe” command that can be executed through Run option available in the start menu. Delete the following associated entries of the Webalta.ru and close the registry editor window:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Webalta.ru\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Webalta.ru\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Webalta.ru\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Webalta.ru\DisplayName Webalta.ru
Reboot the system in the normal mode to see the success of the manual removal process. Update the existing antivirus program installed on your computer and run a complete system scan to remove the infections.