The Web.Winstat.us popup has been a recently discovered computer worm that is classified as a browser hijacker with features of adware program. The Web.Winstat.us popup can hijack browsers like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, and Internet Explorer. Once invades any computer, the Web.Winstat.us popup performs a series of mischievous activities to harass the user, and access the private information stored on the computer. After changing the windows firewall, it downloads other malware, spyware, ransomware, and browser hijackers to your computer. It also creates the system crashes, and screen freezes issues if remain resident for the long term on the PC. It acts like a spyware to steal your highly confidential financial details related to the payment methods used by the user for online shopping. Apart from that, this malicious browser hijacker is also responsible of showing countless numbers of the pop-up ads to disturb your routine tasks.
Removal of Web.Winstat.us popup
Once the Web.Winstat.us popup invades the computer, it should be removed immediately to contain the loss caused by this infection. The automatic removal is the most convenient way of erasing this browser hijacker from the system. The manual removal on the other hand is a bit complicated process that can be executed by following the instructions mentioned below:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
To start with the manual removal method, you need to terminate the normal mode by restarting the system. Access the boot options screen with the help of F8 key, and once the boot options screen is accessed highlight the safe mode option by using the arrow keys before hitting the Enter key to start the system in the safe mdoe.
End the Malicious Processes
Once the system starts working in the safe mode, you can access the windows task manager by holding the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together. Select the processes tab to see the list of processes, and delete the following processes associated with the Web.Winstat.us popup browser hijacker before closing the task manager window:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].ex
Remove the Associated Data
Once the removal of the processes related to this nasty browser hijacker, you have to remove the following files related to the Web.Winstat.us popup from the system files folder with the help of the Delete key:-
- %Desktopdir%\Web.Winstat.us Pop-up Ads.lnk
- %Programs%\Web.Winstat.us Pop-up Ads\Web.Winstat.us Pop-up Ads.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
In the end, you are required to clean the windows registry by accessing the registry editor. The registry editor can be executed through the Regedit command through Run option of the start menu. Once the registry editor is accessed, you have to remove the following associated entries of this virus before closing the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Web.Winstat.us Pop-up Ads\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Web.Winstat.us Pop-up Ads
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Web.Winstat.us Pop-up Ads\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Web.Winstat.us Pop-up Ads\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Web.Winstat.us Pop-up Ads\DisplayName Web.Winstat.us Pop-up Ads
You have to run a complete system scan from the main interface of your antivirus after booting the system in the normal mode.