The W32/Vanebot-R is a backdoor Trojan virus that is developed by the online hackers by keeping in view the idea of IRC based viruses. Once installed, this malicious application connects the infected system with the botnet, and also installs their own payload. This Trojan application is used by the cyber crooks to run annoying pop-up ads and make commissions by selling the affiliate products. The mastermind of this malicious Trojan application is Robert Bentley, and this virus is distributed to the windows based computers by using the MS SQL servers that have weaker security settings. Besides that, this also spreads through the spam email messages, sharing resources, and using infected removable devices. Mostly this application uses the file names “Red World”, and once installed, this virus modifies the windows registry by adding some corrupt entries. This virus has the ability to disable the windows firewall, and bypass the antivirus program as well as other security arrangements. This virus can damage the system as well as data in a way that it cannot be recovered.
The Manual Removal of W32/Vanebot-R
After confirming that your system has a virus and it is most probably the W32/Vanebot-R , you have to delete this malicious application at your earliest. You can remove this malicious application manually as well as automatically. Following are the detailed instructions for manual removal of this virus:-
Start the System in Safe Mode
After restarting the infected computer use the F8 key repeatedly to access the boot options menu. Once you are able to see the boot options screen, select the safe mode option and press the enter key to terminate the normal mode and start the computer in the safe mode.
Kill the Associated Processes
Find and delete the malicious processes associated with this virus by accessing the windows task manager with the help of Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys. Once the task manager is accessed, you can see the list of all the running processes in your system under the processes tab. You have to find as well as delete the following suspicious processes associated with this virus:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Delete the Associated Files
You have to remove the following suspicious files that are required to be deleted from the system files folder quickly in order to get rid of this infection:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
This virus cannot be removed completely unless you have not cleaned the windows registry. In this regard, you can access the registry editor, by clicking the start menu, select Run, and type RegEdit in the box. After accessing the registry editor, you have to remove the following corrupt registry entries associated with this infection:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\W32/Vanebot-R\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\W32/Vanebot-R\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\W32/Vanebot-R\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\W32/Vanebot-R\DisplayName W32/Vanebot-R
Close down the registry editor, and restart the PC in the normal mode to see the effect of recent changes you have made.