The W32.Pholdicon is a dangerous computer virus that attacks the windows based computers without giving prior notice to the user. The W32.Pholdicon infection distributed through the sharing of resources with other computers on the same network, and using corrupt removable drives. This malicious computer virus is used by the hackers to distribute several rogue applications on the targeted computers. Once installed, the W32.Pholdicon virus creates the malicious entries in the windows registry, and changes the browser settings to control the online activities of the user. Besides that, it has the capability of redirecting all your searches towards desired websites, and dictate its terms to perform more harmful activities. The system becomes super slow once this dangerous computer infection enters in the system as it eats most of the system resources, and you can see the frequent freezes, and browser crashes. All such activities are performed by the hackers to access the personal details of the users like browsing habits, shopping preferences, and payment mode details. This information is used by these cyber criminals in the online frauds and other unethical activities.
The Manual Removal of W32.Pholdicon
Once it is confirmed that the PC is compromised to the W32.Pholdicon virus, you are required to find a way to get rid of this infection. The manual removal of the W32.Pholdicon virus is a bit hard for the new users; whereas the automatic removal is easier. The manual removal instructions of this virus are detailed below:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
The system must be booted in the safe mode before starting the manual removal process. Access to the boot options with the help of F8 key, and once the boot options menu is accessed, select the safe mode option from the list before pressing the Enter key to restart the computer in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
Use the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together to open the task manager window, and click on the processes tab whereyou can see a list of processes running in the background of your sustem. Remove the following processes and close the windows task manager:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
Find and remove the following files along with the folders associated with the W32.Pholdicon virus from the system files folder:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
You are also required to clean the windows registry to complete the manual removal process of the W32.Pholdicon virus. Click on the start menu, select Run, and type “RegEdit” in the box to access the registry editor. After accessing the registry editor successfully, you have to find as well as delete the following malicious associated entries:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\W32.Pholdicon\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\W32.Pholdicon\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\W32.Pholdicon\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\W32.Pholdicon\DisplayName W32.Pholdicon
Close the registry editor before restarting the computer to evaluate the success of the manual removal process, and run a complete system scan after updating your current antivirus program.