The Video Downloader is a computer infection that is classified as an adware program, and slips inside the system secretly to perform its illegal activities. It presents itself as a useful tool that helps users in online shopping, but for the ordinary users this is completely useless. This malicious application installed as a toolbar on your default browser, and used by the hackers to gain the illegal monetary benefits. The Video Downloader sneaks in the computers using windows operating system while visiting porn websites, clicking on the spam email attachments, downloading freeware from fake websites, and using infected removable devices. The Video Downloader infection modifies the windows registry, alters the DNS settings, disables the windows firewall, remove the system files, and modify the browser settings. After settling down in the system it starts tracking the online activities of the users, and opens the backdoor for the additional threats including malware, rogue ware, and Trojans.
Removal of Video Downloader
Once it becomes obvious that the system is compromised to the Video Downloader, you need to take some quick steps to get rid of this adware. There are various automatic tools available through which you can delete this adware program within just a few clicks of the mouse. Besides that, this lethal adware can be removed manually too by following the instructions mentioned below:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
Once you are able to boot the system in the safe mode, you can execute the commands of the manual removal. Reboot the PC, and hit the F8 key repeatedly while the system is restarted to open the boot options menu. Once the boot options are accessed, select the Safe Mode option before pressing the Enter key to access the safe mode operation.
End the Malicious Processes
Get rid of the associated processes of the Video Downloader infection by holding the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together, and click on the processes tab to find the suspicious processes associated with the Video Downloader. End the following corrupt processes before closing the task manager:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
After getting rid of the associated processes of this infection, you have to delete of the following associated files of the Video Downloader from the system files folder:-
- %Desktopdir%\ Video Downloader.lnk
- %Programs%\ Video Downloader\ Video Downloader.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
Clean the windows registry by reversing the modifications made by this adware infection. Open the registry editor through RegEdit command that can be executed through Run option available in the Start menu. Delete the following corrupt entries associated with the Video Downloader from the windows registry:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ Video Downloader\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ Video Downloader
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ Video Downloader\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ Video Downloader\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ Video Downloader\DisplayName Video Downloader
Evaluate the success of the manual removal efforts by restarting the system in the normal mode, and run a system can from the main interface of the antivirus program.