The UtilityChest Toolbar is actually an unwanted toolbar that sneaks in the system without prior permission of the user. The UtilityChest Toolbar virus present itself as a legitimate application, but the fact is that, this malicious program perform a number of unwanted tasks inside the PC that can harm your most accessed data folders along with the sensitive system files. Once it enters in the system, it changes all the settings, and restrict your access towards important data files, and crucial system utilities. The UtilityChest Toolbar infection can act as a redirect virus, and divert all your browsing towards the unknown websites for traffic generation purposes. Besides that, this malicious application also used by the hackers to flood the screen of the infected computer with pop-up ads that contains fake messages. All these efforts are made by the cyber crooks to make money by promoting the low quality products from the unknown suppliers. This toolbar virus is actually used for deceptive advertising purposes.
The Manual Removal of UtilityChest Toolbar
After knowing that the system is under attack by the UtilityChest Toolbar infection, you have to think about an effective way to remove this virus swiftly. There are both manual as well as automatic removal options available to get rid of this Trojan virus. The manual removal steps are detailed below:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
Reboot the system in the safe mode by restarting the computer, and using the F8 to access the boot options menu. Once you can see the boot options on the screen, you have to select the safe mode option by using the arrow key, and press the enter button to boot the system in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
Once the system starts working in the safe mode, you have to remove the malicious processes of this virus by using the windows task manager. Press the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together to access the task manager, and click on the processes tab under the task manager window to see the list of running processes. Kill the following malicious processes before closing the windows task manager:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
You have to delete the following malicious files that are associated with the UtilityChest Toolbar virus:-
- %Desktopdir%\UtilityChest Toolbar.lnk
- %Programs%\UtilityChest Toolbar\UtilityChest Toolbar.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
To start the cleaning process of the registry section of your windows operating system you have to access the registry editor by executing the “regedit.exe” command through the Run option of the Start menu. Remove the following entries created by the UtilityChest Toolbar virus:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\UtilityChest Toolbar\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\UtilityChest Toolbar
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\UtilityChest Toolbar\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\UtilityChest Toolbar\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\UtilityChest Toolbar\DisplayName UtilityChest Toolbar
Close the registry editor after completing the above mentioned steps, and restart the PC in the normal mode. Run a system scan after updating the current antivirus program to remove the infections caused by this virus.