The Utility Chest Toolbar is a freeware which is categorized under the browser add-on viruses. Once it is installed on any computer, it immediately changes the browser settings including the homepage, and default search engine. After changing all the important settings, it prevents you to access your data. The Utility Chest Toolbar can redirect your browser towards certain websites where low quality products are promoted. This is a malicious application which has the ability to run the pop-up ads on the screen of the infected computer. After installing itself, the Utility Chest Toolbar can create corrupt registry entries which make it able to run automatically every time the user starts the windows. By capturing most of the resources installed on the infected PC, it can slow down the speed of the computer, and also causes unusual crashes at times.
Manual Removal Method of Utility Chest Toolbar
Once it is detected on your computer, you need to remove it either by using an automatic removal tool, or by following the below mentioned steps of manual removal process. The success of manual removal process depends on the expertise of the user, and ability to differentiate the associated files of this threat, and the sensitive windows files. Following are the detailed instructions to get rid of the Utility Chest Toolbar manually:-
Start the Computer in Safe Mode
Before searching for the infected and associated files, folders, and registry entries, you have to reboot the infected computer in safe mode. In this regard, you have to restart the PC, and use F8 button to see the boot options. From these options, you have to select the safe mode, and hit the enter button.
Delete the Malicious Processes
Once the computer starts in the safe mode, you have to start the windows task manager by holding the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys, click on the processes tab where all the running processes are listed, and remove the following malicious process that is associated with the Utility Chest Toolbar:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Delete the Associated Files
Once you are done with the processes, you need to get rid of the corrupt associated files of this threat. In this regard you have to find the following files and delete them by using the Delete key:-
- %Desktopdir%\Utility Chest Toolbar.lnk
- %Programs%\Utility Chest Toolbar\Utility Chest Toolbar.lnk
Delete Registry Entries
After deleting the associated files and folders of this malicious application, you have to clean the windows registry. In this regard you have to start the registry editor by executing the “RegEdit.exe” command through “Run” option available in the start menu, and delete the following registry entries:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Utility Chest Toolbar\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Utility Chest Toolbar
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Utility Chest Toolbar\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Utility Chest Toolbar\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Utility Chest Toolbar\DisplayName Utility Chest Toolbar
Once the corrupt entries are removed successfully, you have to close the registry editor window, and restart the system in the normal mode.