The UpToDown Toolbar is a malicious toolbar application that that attacks the windows based computers by using the loopholes in the security settings. This nasty toolbar is actually developed by the Conduit Ltd, and once entered on any computer, it makes several changes in the basic settings. It replaces the home page after hijacking it, and once this malicious infection makes the way in a network computer, it immediately spreads to the other computers on the same network. You will notice that the task manager along with the registry editor, and it also tracks your browsing activities. The hackers also use this infection to steal the confidential details of the targeted users, and make money from online frauds.
Removal of UpToDown Toolbar
After becoming the victim of the UpToDown Toolbar infection, you need to find a solution to remove this virus, and protect your computer. There are a number of automatic tools available through which you can get rid of this toolbar infection easily. Apart from that, the manual removal method is also possible, which is complicated, and detailed below:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
Before executing the complicated steps of the manual removal of the UpToDown Toolbar, you have to boot the infected computer in the safe mode. You have to restart the system, and hit the F8 key repeatedly while the system is restarted to access the boot options. Choose the Safe Mode option from the boot options menu, and strike the Enter key to start the computer in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
After accessing the safe mode operation, you have to kill the malicious processes associated with this infection. Hold the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together to access the windows task manager, and once you are able to open the task manager, select the processes tab, and get rid of the following processes before closing the task manager:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
Following are some of the files that are required to find and removed from the system files folder by using the Delete key:-
- %Desktopdir%\UpToDown Toolbar.lnk
- %Programs%\UpToDown Toolbar\UpToDown Toolbar.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
In the end, you have to reverse the changes made by this infection in the windows registry. In this regard, access the registry editor by executing the Regedit command through the Run option available in the start menu. Eliminate the following corrupt entries associated with the UpToDown Toolbar after accessing the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\UpToDown Toolbar\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\UpToDown Toolbar
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\UpToDown Toolbar\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\UpToDown Toolbar\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\UpToDown Toolbar\DisplayName UpToDown Toolbar
Once all the above mentioned steps completed successfully, you have to shut the registry editor, and restart the system in the normal mode to to see how effectively you have removed this infection. In case, if the virus is removed, you have to run a complete system scan from the main interface of your default antivirus program.