The Updateplayers.com Redirect Virus is a malicious application classified as a browser hijacker. The Updateplayers.com Redirect Virus sneaks in the windows based computers without providing prior information, and immediately after its arrival, the browser settings are modified. It is a dangerous tool designed by cyber thugs to access the system, and steal your personal details which can be used in online financial frauds. This malicious application is also used to generate traffic on the low ranked affiliate websites, and promote the affiliate products and make commissions from sales as well as the pay per click programs. The Updateplayers.com Redirect Virus also displays the annoying pop-up ads, and load unnecessary files on your hard drive which affect the speed of your system. Once this virus enters in the system, you cannot surf on the web freely, and all your searches redirected towards unknown websites. Besides that, this infection disable your windows firewall, and block your access to security related websites.
Removal of Updateplayers.com Redirect Virus
Once you start feeling the presence of the Updateplayers.com Redirect Virus in your system, you have to confirm its presence, and take solid steps to get rid of this malicious application. The manual removal of this infection is only recommended for the advanced level users; whereas, the automatic removal is ideal for the basic users. The steps involved in the manual removal are described below:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
Restart the system to terminate the normal mode, and keep hitting the F8 key repeatedly while the system is restarted to see the boot options menu on the screen. After accessing the boot options, you have to select the safe mode, and hit the enter key to boot the system in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
Access the windows task manager by holding the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together, and click on the Processes tab once you are able to see the task manager. You have to kill the following malicious processes associated with the Updateplayers.com Redirect Virus by using the “End Process“button:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].ex
Remove the Associated Data
After completing the removal of the processes, you have to get rid of the associated files of the Updateplayers.com Redirect Virus. Following are the suspicious files hidden in the system files folder that you have to remove by using the Delete key:-
- %Desktopdir%\Updateplayers.com Redirect Virus.lnk
- %Programs%\Updateplayers.com Redirect Virus\Updateplayers.com Redirect Virus.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
Access the registry editor by executing the Regedit command through Run option available in the start menu. Once the registry editor is started, delete the following entries associated with this nasty redirect virus:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Updateplayers.com Redirect Virus\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Updateplayers.com Redirect Virus
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Updateplayers.com Redirect Virus\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Updateplayers.com Redirect Virus\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Updateplayers.com Redirect Virus\DisplayName Updateplayers.com Redirect Virus
Restart the computer in the normal mode after closing the registry editor. Do not forget to run a complete system scan after updating the existing antivirus program to remove the infections caused by this virus.