The Updateplayers.com Pop-up is a dangerous computer worm classified as a browser hijacker, and can infect all the popular browsers including the Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome. Once this nasty browser hijacker installed on the system, all your google searches redirected towards unknown and unwanted places. This malicious application modifies the windows firewall, and disable your antivirus program to open the backdoor for the additional threats. If you failed to remove this infection from the system in time, it starts affecting the speed of the system, and you failed to open any of the applications as it takes too much time to load. The Updateplayers.com Pop-up is an effective tool for the cyber thugs to make money from affiliate sales and pay per click programs. Besides above mentioned changes, this dangerous browser hijacker also modifies your home page, default search provider, and DNS settings to take complete control of your browsing.
Removal of Updateplayers.com Pop-up
As soon as this serious threat enters into your system, you have to take preventive measures, and remove this infection at your earliest. You can remove this virus through any reliable automatic removal tool. The manual removal of this nasty browser hijacker is also available, and consists of the following steps:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
You must boot the PC in the safe mode to start the manual removal process of the Updateplayers.com Pop-up. To do this, you have to restart the infected machine and hit the F8 key repeatedly to see the list of options. Once the boot options are visible on the screen, select the safe mode before hitting the Enter key.
End the Malicious Processes
In the next step, you have to get rid of the associated processes of the Updateplayers.com Pop-up. In this regard, you have to start the task manager by holding the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together, and click on the processes tab in the task manager window to see the list of processes running in the system. Find and delete the following processes one by one by using the “End Process” button:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].ex
Remove the Associated Data
Following are the associated files of the Updateplayers.com Pop-up that you need to find and remove from the system files folder:-
- %Desktopdir%\Updateplayers.com Pop-up ads.lnk
- %Programs%\Updateplayers.com Pop-up ads\Updateplayers.com Pop-up ads.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
You are also required to reverse the modifications in the windows registry. Open the registry editor by clicking on the start menu, select Run option, and type Regedit in the box. After accessing the registry editor, you have to delete the following entries associated with the Updateplayers.com Pop-up:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Updateplayers.com Pop-up ads\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Updateplayers.com Pop-up ads
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Updateplayers.com Pop-up ads\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Updateplayers.com Pop-up ads\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Updateplayers.com Pop-up ads\DisplayName Updateplayers.com Pop-up ads
Close the registry editor and boot the system in the normal mode. Update your existing antivirus program and run a complete system scan from the main interface of the antivirus.