The Update-browser.org popup is a nasty browser hijacker that comes into the system, secretly without letting the user know. The Update-browser.org popup is an extremely aggressive type of browser hijacker that takes over your browsing activity within no time. Whenever you start your browser, this malicious application launched automatically in the background. It downloads additional infectious files like malware, Trojans, and rogue applications. It arrives on a system, while visiting malicious websites, sharing files on peer to peer network, clicking on the spam email, and using the infected removable storage devices. Once installed, it makes several unwanted changes in the system configuration without your permission. These changes can put you in a difficult situation as the aim of such changes is to gain the control of your browsing activity. You will notice several changes in the system, including blue screen errors, frequent system crashes, fake pop-up alerts, and disabled your existing antivirus. It also removes some of the most crucial system files.
Removal of Update-browser.org popup
Once you realize the presence of the Update-browser.org popup browser hijacker inside the system, you have to cope with this situation by removing this infection at your earliest. There are some good automatic tools available that can help you in this regard. On the other hand, the manual removal process is also available that is too difficult for the novice users. Following are the steps involved in the manual removal process:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
First of all, you need to start the system in the safe mode before proceeding with the manual removal process. You simply have to restart the system, and access the boot options menu by hitting the F8 key repeatedly while the system is restarted. After accessing the boot options list, select the Safe Mode, and press the Enter key to boot the system in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
Open the windows task manager by pressing the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together, and click on the Processes tab under the task manager window. Delete the following processes associated with the Update-browser.org popup, and close the task manager: –
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
Once you have completed the above mentioned steps, you have to remove the following suspicious files associated with the Update-browser.org popup from the system files folder:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
You have to complete this manual process by cleaning the windows registry. In this regard, access the registry editor by executing the “regedit” command through Run option on the Start menu. After accessing the registry editor, remove the following corrupt entries associated with the Update-browser.org popup:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Update-browser.org\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Update-browser.org\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Update-browser.org\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Update-browser.org\DisplayName Update-browser.org
Reboot the computer in the normal mode to check the success or failure of your efforts, and if the virus is removed successfully, run a complete system scan.