The Unfriend Check is a malicious application that often installed on the windows based computer along with freeware and spam email attachments. Once installed, it immediately modifies the security settings, and disable the existing antivirus program to avoid the detection. Once installed, the Unfriend Check creates the serious vulnerabilities in the system, and opens the backdoor for additional malware, spyware, browser hijackers, and adware. Keep in mind that the Unfriend Check is one of the most dangerous viruses of recent times that completely damages your system. Most of the users try to get rid of this virus with the help of their antivirus program, but this stubborn virus cannot be removed as easily as one can think. This malicious application hides it very intelligently deep in the roots of the system files, and also creates registry entries tor remain resident in the system. It also makes your system extremely slow, and affect the performance of the computer negatively.
The Manual Removal of Unfriend Check
When it is confirmed that the system is infected by Unfriend Check, you have to remove this malicious application either by with the help of the manual removal method or by using the automatic removal tool. If you are a novice user, we recommend you to use the automatic tool to get rid of this virus; however, the manual removal method instructions are detailed below:-
Start Your Computer in the Safe Mode
Before starting anything else you have to reboot the system so that you can start your computer in the safe mode. Press F8 key while the system is rebooting, and choose safe mode when you are able to see the list of various boot options.
Delete the Processes through Windows Task Manager
You have to delete the malicious processes related to this virus which can be removed with the help of windows task manager. Use Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together to start the task manager, and hit the processes tab to find and delete the following processes:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Delete the Associated Data
After that, you need to delete the files and folders related to this virus. You have to find as well as delete the following files from the system file folders:-
- %Desktopdir%\Unfriend Check.lnk
- %Programs%\Unfriend Check\Unfriend Check.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
In order to delete the registry entries associated with this virus you have to open the registry editor by using the RegEdit command through Run option available in the start menu. You have to find and delete the following corrupt entries:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Unfriend Check\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Unfriend Check
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Unfriend Check\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Unfriend Check\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Unfriend Check\DisplayName Unfriend Check
After successfully removing the above mentioned corrupt entries you have to restart the system in the normal mode to see how effectively you have made the changes. Do not forget to update the antivirus program before running a complete system scan to delete the infections caused by this virus.