The TR/Sirefef.P.2606 Trojan is a malicious application which is categorized as the rootkit Trojan virus. The main feature of this tricky Trojan is, it remains active in the windows operating system in both normal as well as safe modes. It can infect all the versions of the windows including windows XP, windows vista, and windows 7. This vicious Trojan has the ability to block all the normal processes that are necessary to run your computer. The TR/Sirefef.P.2606 Trojan is capable of replicating itself and spread in the other computers on the same network. The basic objective of developing this malicious Trojan is to provide remote access to your computer to the online criminals which then use it to steal your personal information. It has the ability to change the security settings, home page, and desktop background once it is installed on any computer. The TR/Sirefef.P.2606 Trojan mostly spreads through spam emails, social media ads, and accepting unauthenticated online offers. Once it is detected on your PC, you need to remove it quickly.
Manual Removal Process of TR/Sirefef.P.2606 Trojan
Once you have realized that your computer is compromised to TR/Sirefef.P.2606 Trojan, you need to remove it either by using an automatic removal tool or by using the manual removal method. The manual removal method consists of the following steps:-
Start the Computer in Safe Mode
In order to remove the files, folders, and registry entries you need to reboot the computer in safe mode. You have to simply restart the machine, and press F8 key to get into the boot options where you have to choose the safe mode option, and hit the enter button.
Delete the Malicious Processes
When the machine restarts in the safe mode, you have to move towards the next step of manual removal process which is killing the associated process. You have to start the windows task manager by holding the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys. Once the task manager window appears on the screen, you have to select the processes tab and delete the following processes:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Delete the Files and Folders
When the malicious processes are stopped successfully, the next step is to delete the associated files and folders. In this regard, you have to open the file explorer and navigate towards the following files to delete them permanently:-
Delete Registry Entries
The last step of manual removal process is to get rid of the corrupt registry entries created by this tricky malware. To remove the entries you have to open the registry editor by executing the “regedit.exe” command. Once the registry editor started, you have to find and delete the following registry entries:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\TR/Sirefef.P.2606\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\TR/Sirefef.P.2606\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\TR/Sirefef.P.2606\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\TR/Sirefef.P.2606\DisplayName TR/Sirefef.P.2606
After closing the registry editor, start the computer in the normal mode and see the effectiveness of changes you have made during the above mentioned steps of the manual removal process.