The Trojan:Win32/Sefnit.AU is a lethal Trojan infection that enters into the computer without prior information or getting permission from the user. The hackers use this virus as a tool to get the remote access of the targeted PC, and then steal the sensitive information like payment details, browsing history, and shopping preferences to use it in the online frauds and other cyber crimes. Once installed, the Trojan:Win32/Sefnit.AU virus redirects all the searching efforts of the user towards unknown sites where you are encouraged to buy unknown products. This shows that the hackers use this tool for the commercial purposes to make commissions from the affiliate sales. This malicious application often changes the security settings in the system to open the backdoor for the additional threats and bypass the detection through any security tool.
The Manual Removal of Trojan:Win32/Sefnit.AU
When it is completely confirmed that the Trojan:Win32/Sefnit.AU virus enters in the system, your goal is to remove this Trojan infection quickly. There are manual as well as automatic methods of removal available to get rid of this Trojan virus and both methods have their own benefits and drawbacks. The automatic method is easy as well as fast; whereas, the manual method is a bit complicated for the novice users. The manual removal instructions are mentioned below:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
Restart the PC and use the F8 key repeatedly to access the list of boot options. Once you can see the boot options list on the screen of your computer, you have to select the safe mode option from the list before pressing the Enter key to start the PC in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
To kill the corrupt processes created by the Trojan:Win32/Sefnit.AU virus, you need to access the windows task manager with the help of the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys. The list of running processes is available under the processes tab in the windows task manager from which you are required to end the following processess:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
After successful removal of the processes, you have to get rid of the associated files of this threat. In this regard, you are required to remove the following suspicious files hidden in the system files folder:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
Open the registry editor in order to remove the alterations made by this dangerous adware in the registry section of the windows. Click on the start menu, select the Run option, and execute the regedit.exe command to access the registry editor. Remove the following suspicious entries associated with this Trojan infection from the windows registry and close the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Trojan:Win32/Sefnit.AU\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Trojan:Win32/Sefnit.AU\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Trojan:Win32/Sefnit.AU\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Trojan:Win32/Sefnit.AU\DisplayName Trojan:Win32/Sefnit.AU
The manual removal process is now complete; therefore, you have to reboot the computer in the normal mode to check the effectiveness of the manual removal efforts.