The Trojan.Startpage.VH is a dangerous virus that is categorized as a Trojan infection. Like most of the Trojan viruses, the Trojan.Startpage.VH sneaks in the windows based systems without the knowledge of the users. Mostly this malicious Trojan spreads through spam email attachments, and social media ads. Besides that another common reason is sharing resources on the network. This Trojan infection is developed by the cyber criminals to get the remote access of the infected computers, and steal the information from there that can be used for the fraudulent purposes. Once installed, this dangerous virus captures most of the resources installed on the system, and causes regular crashes, freezes as well as a reduction in the speed. This Trojan virus is capable of changing your default browser settings that include the home page, default browser and desktop background. This is an advanced level Trojan infection, and most of the antivirus programs are unable to remove or even detect this virus; therefore, you need to remove it yourself once infected.
The Manual Removal of Trojan.Startpage.VH
As soon as you have realized that the system is compromised to the Trojan.Startpage.VH, you need to look for a removal method. There are some automatic removal tools available, but if you are looking for a manual removal method of this virus, that is also available. The manual removal method consists of the following steps:-
Start the System in Safe Mode
You have to reboot the system, and use F8 key while the system is restarted to see the boot options menu. Select the safe mode option, and hit the enter key to restart your computer in the safe mode.
Kill the Associated Processes
After restarting the system in the safe mode, you have to delete the associated processes of this virus. You have to access the processes tab available in the windows task manager to see the list of the processes running in the background. Use the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys to access the task manager, and delete the following malicious processes available under the processes tab:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Delete the Associated Files
The next step of this process is the removal of the data. You have to open the file explorer, and remove the following files from the system files folder.
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
After completing all of the above mentioned steps, in the end, you have to get rid of the corrupt entries created by the Trojan.Startpage.VH in the windows registry. You have to open the registry editor by clicking on the start button, select run option and write “regedit” in the box to access the registry editor. Find and delete the following entries and restart the system in the normal mode after closing the registry editor before running the complete system scan on the computer.
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\TROJAN.STARTPAGE.VH\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\TROJAN.STARTPAGE.VH\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\TROJAN.STARTPAGE.VH\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\TROJAN.STARTPAGE.VH\DisplayName TROJAN.STARTPAGE.VH