The Trojan StartPage-AA is a malicious application that is categorized as a Trojan horse. It acts as a backdoor virus once it is installed and open doors for the other viruses by changing the security setting of the infected PC. This is a type of Trojan that presents itself as a legitimate application which is used to run video formats. Once you have clicked the download button, your computer will be compromised for this tricky Trojan. This dangerous Trojan comes from the family of Trojan:Win32/Tracur which is an extremely dangerous virus. The objective of this virus is to encourage you to buy the paid version of this fake antivirus program. This is a trap which is developed by the hackers to steal your personal financial information along with your money. Once it is detected on the computer, you need to remove it either by using an automatic removal tool or by using the manual removal method.
Manual Removal Method of Trojan StartPage-AA
The manual removal method is a bit complicated, and a tough job for the basic level computer users. You need to be aware of registry issues and system files in order to get rid of the Trojan StartPage-AA manually. There are some automatic removal tools available for the new users. The manual removal method consists of the following steps:-
Start the Computer in Safe Mode
The first step of this process is to restart the computer, and continuously hit the F8 key unless you are not able to see the boot options menu. From the boot options, you have to select the safe mode, and hit the enter button to start the computer in the safe mode.
Delete the Malicious Processes
You can end the running processes that are related to the Trojan StartPage-AA by using the windows task manager. In this regard, you need to use the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys, and click on the processes tab. Here you can see a number of processes running in the background of your PC. The challenge for you is to identify the following processes, and delete them:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Delete the Associated Files
Once done with the associated processes, you have to find as well as delete the infected/associated files. In this regard, you have to locate and delete the following files from your computer.
- %Desktopdir%\Trojan StartPage-AA.lnk
- %Programs%\Trojan StartPage-AA\Trojan StartPage-AA.lnk
Delete Registry Entries
After removing the files and folders, the next thing is windows registry. You have to start the windows registry editor to make changes in the registry section. Just click on the start button, and choose the Run option before writing the regedit command in the box. Once the registry editor started you have to navigate to the following entries, and remove them from the list:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Trojan StartPage-AA\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Trojan StartPage-AA
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Trojan StartPage-AA\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Trojan StartPage-AA\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Trojan StartPage-AA\DisplayName Trojan StartPage-AA
Restart the computer in the normal mode after closing the registry editor.