The Trojan.Multi.Cerstor.a is a malicious computer program that belongs to the Trojan family of computer worms, and sneaks in the computers without providing any prior information to the users. Often this Trojan attacks the systems while opening the spam email attachments or visiting the compromised web pages. Once arrived in the system, the Trojan.Multi.Cerstor.a can hide itself wisely in the system files folder, and you cannot detect this stubborn Trojan with the normal antivirus program. You will notice that the browser settings are modified automatically without your permission, and there will be a brand new search engine arrived in your computer. When you try to search anything on the web, it shows manipulated and fake results. Most of your efforts to open websites will be automatically redirected towards unwanted web pages. The purpose of the distributing of the Trojan.Multi.Cerstor.a is access the system, and steal the personal information of the user. After collecting all the information, it will be transferred to the remote hackers, and they use it in various types of cyber crimes.
Removal of Trojan.Multi.Cerstor.a
The Trojan.Multi.Cerstor.a is a sophisticated Trojan infection that should be removed quickly as well as efficiently either manually or by using any reliable automatic removal tool. There are a number of automatic removal tools available to get rid of this infection. The manual removal of the Trojan.Multi.Cerstor.a is also possible, but extremely complicated, and only recommended for the computer professionals. Following are the steps involved in the manual removal of this Trojan infection:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
You should access the safe mode on the infected machine before starting the manual removal process. In this regard, restart the system, and hit the F8 key repeatedly to access the boot options menu. Select the safe mode option from the boot options menu, before pressing the enter key to access the computer in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
After accessing the safe mode, you have to open the windows task manager by holding the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together. In the task manager, you have to select the Processes tab to see all the processes. Kill the following associated processes of this malicious application, before closing the task manager window:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
Remove the following suspicious files along with their folders from the system files folder by using the Delete key:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
Last but not least, get rid of the corrupt entries from the windows registry. In this regard, you need to click on the start menu, select Run, and write regedit.exe in the box to access the registry editor. Delete the following associated entries of this Trojan infection:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Trojan.Multi.Cerstor.a\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Trojan.Multi.Cerstor.a\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Trojan.Multi.Cerstor.a\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Trojan.Multi.Cerstor.a\DisplayName Trojan.Multi.Cerstor.a
Reboot the computer in the normal mode to analyze the success or failure of the manual removal process, and run a complete system scan through an updated antivirus software.