The Trojan.ModifiedUPX is a computer virus that belongs from the browser hijacker category of the infections, and enters in any windows based system without providing prior information to the user. This malicious application starts performing the harmful activities after changing the basic internet settings like home page, desktop background, and the default browser. Once installed, the Trojan.ModifiedUPX display annoying pop-up ads frequently, redirect all your searching efforts towards the unwanted websites, and you are unable to perform the normal browsing on your PC. Besides taking complete control of your online activities, this tricky browser hijacker is also involved in accessing your confidential information, and generating traffic on the low ranked websites through unethical ways. This infection often attacks the computer when you download free programs from unreliable sources. Besides that, this infection also spreads through the sharing of resources with other computers.
The Manual Removal of Trojan.ModifiedUPX
Once the presence of the Trojan.ModifiedUPX is confirmed in your computer, you have to find an effective way to delete this infection. There are some automatic removal tools available to get rid of this browser hijacker, but you can also remove this virus manually. The instructions for the manual removal of this virus consists of the several steps that are mentioned below:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
To start the manual removal you need to reboot the computer and use the F8 key repeatedly to access the boot options while the system is being restarted. Once the different boot options appear on the screen, select the safe mode option before hitting the enter key to start the computer in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
The next step is killing the malicious processes created by this browser hijacker. In this regard, you have to access the windows task manager by using the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together. Once the task manager is accessed, click on the processes tab where you can see the list of running processes. You have to delete the following associated processes from the list one by one:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
You have to remove the following suspected files along with their folders hidden deep in the system files folder:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
In the end, do not forget to clean the windows registry to complete this process. In this regard, you have to access the registry editor by opening the start menu, select Run option, and write RegEdit.exe in the box. Once the registry editor is visible on the screen, delete the following suspicious entries:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Trojan.ModifiedUPX\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Trojan.ModifiedUPX\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Trojan.ModifiedUPX\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Trojan.ModifiedUPX\DisplayName Trojan.ModifiedUPX
Restart your PC in the normal mode after closing the registry editor to see whether the manual removal is successful or otherwise. Run a complete system scan on the PC through the updated version of any reliable antivirus program.