The Trojan Horse Dropper.Genric4.COEV has been a nasty computer worm discovered recently, and belongs to the famous Trojan family of infections. The hackers use several mediums to distribute this malicious application such as compromised web pages, spam email, and freeware downloads. The Trojan Horse Dropper.Genric4.COEV keeps replicating itself time to time, and keep changing its location, due to which it is impossible to detect or remove this nasty Trojan through ordinary antivirus software. As soon as it arrives in the system, it will take complete control of your default browser, and all your web searches diverts towards unknown places. This dangerous application is often used by the cyber criminals to promote certain affiliate products and make commissions from affiliate sales as well as pay per click marketing. Most of your browser settings are modified without your consent including the home page, default search engine, and background. It also performs fake scans on the system and shows that your computer has several errors. Apart from all of the above mentioned harmful activities, the Trojan Horse Dropper.Genric4.COEV infection eats most of the system resources and makes the system super slow.
Removal of Trojan Horse Dropper.Genric4.COEV
Once it is confirmed that the system is acting weird because of the Trojan Horse Dropper.Genric4.COEV presence, you have to take some immediate steps in order to remove this virus effectively. Besides some powerful automatic tools, you can also remove this virus manually by following the instructions mentioned below:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
Restart the system, and hit the F8 key repeatedly while the system is restarted to gain the access of the boot options screen. Once the boot options are visible on the screen, select the safe mode option, and hit the Enter key to open the system in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
In the next step, you have to kill the associated processes of the Trojan Horse Dropper.Genric4.COEV. Access the windows task manager by holding the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together, and select the processes tab under the task manager window. Remove the following suspicious processes before closing the task manager:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].ex
Remove the Associated Data
Delete the following associated files of the Trojan Horse Dropper.Genric4.COEV from the system files folder on your local hard drive:-
- %Desktopdir%\Trojan Horse Dropper.Genric4.COEV.lnk
- %Programs%\Trojan Horse Dropper.Genric4.COEV\Trojan Horse Dropper.Genric4.COEV.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
Finally, you have to gain the access of the registry editor by selecting the Run option from the start menu, and type RegEdit in the box. When you are able to see the registry editor on the screen, remove the following entries associated with this nasty Trojan infection before closing the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Trojan Horse Dropper.Genric4.COEV\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Trojan Horse Dropper.Genric4.COEV
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Trojan Horse Dropper.Genric4.COEV\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Trojan Horse Dropper.Genric4.COEV\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Trojan Horse Dropper.Genric4.COEV\DisplayName Trojan Horse Dropper.Genric4.COEV
In the end, you have to start the computer in the normal mode to see how effectively you have removed the virus manually.