The Trojan.Grolker is a dangerous computer worm that belongs from the Trojan horse family of infections and attacks the windows based computers secretly. The Trojan.Grolker virus opens the backdoor for the different types of parasite by changing the basic settings of the infeted system. This malicious application sneaks in the computer while downloading audio/video files, or downloading freeware from the unknon websites. Once installed, the Trojan.Grolker infection display annoying pop-up ads on the screen of the infected PC, and all these ads are for commercial purposes in order to promote fake products or generating traffic on the low ranked websites. By changing the windows firewall settings, the Trojan.Grolker virus brings more infections, and increase the level of risk. After installing itself on any computer, this dangerous Trojan loads a number of binary images that consists of various modules along with a configuration data unit. These modules are made with malicious codes that runs everytime you open your windows, and execute malicious files. This dangerous Trojan worm reduce the efficiency of your CPU, and it start behaving weirdly by replying late.
The Manual Removal of Trojan.Grolker
Once it is confirmed that the Trojan.Grolker virus sneaks in your system, you have to decide which method you are using to get rid of this dangerous trojan. There are both automatic as well as manual removal method available, and both methods have their own benefits. The steps involved in the manual removal are detailed:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
Before start the actual removal process you need to boot the computer in the safe mode. Restart the computer, and access the boot options menu by using the F8 key. Select the safe mode option from the list of the boot options menu before pressing the Enter key to restart the computer in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
Use the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together to access the windows task manager, and clicks on the processes tab to see the list of processes running in the background of the infected computer. Remove the following processes associated with the Trojan.Grolker virus:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
Access the system files folder in your local hard drive, and remove the following corrupt files by using the Delete key:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
You are required to remove the alterations made by the Trojan.Grolker infection in the windows registry. You first need to open the registry editor through the RegEdit command that can be executed through the Run option available in the Start menu. Once the registry editor is accessed, you have to remove the following suspicious entries, and close the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Trojan.Grolker\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Trojan.Grolker\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Trojan.Grolker\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Trojan.Grolker\DisplayName Trojan.Grolker
Reboot the computer once again in the normal mode, and run a complete system scan through an updated version of any reliable antivirus program.