The Trojan.Downloader.Cutwail.CC is a malicious application that is classified as Trojan infection. Once installed on any PC, it can modify the current registry entries, and create new entries so that every time the user starts windows, this application runs automatically. It has the ability to disable the antivirus program, and hide itself by changing the name and location constantly. The basic purpose of developing this notorious Trojan infection is to steal the confidential information of the users, and then use it for the criminal purposes. Once installed on any windows based computer, the Trojan.Downloader.Cutwail.CC can redirect all the searches tried by the user towards the websites that are used for the purpose of promoting low quality products. This dangerous Trojan can make your computer completely useless, and block many of your daily routine programs by changing the DNS settings of your computer. Like all other stubborn Trojan viruses, this is also hard to remove once it makes its roots in the system files, and windows registry.
How to Remove Trojan.Downloader.Cutwail.CC manually?
Once detected in your system, the Trojan.Downloader.Cutwail.CC needed to be deleted immediately. You need to remove this dangerous Trojan application either by using any of the automatic removal tools or by using the manual removal process which is described as under:-
Reboot the Computer in the Safe Mode
When the computer is running in the normal mode, you cannot remove this Trojan application. In order to terminate the normal mode, you have to restart the PC, and hit F8 key to see the boot options. From this list of boot options, you have to select the safe mode, and hit the enter key to restart your computer in the safe mode.
Delete the Malicious Processes
When the infected computer starts working in the safe mode, you have to delete all such processes that are related to this malicious application. The processes are visible under the “Processes tab” of windows task manager which you can open by holding the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together. You have to remove the following corrupt processes:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Delete the Associated Files
You also need to remove the files as well as folders considered as associated with this type of threat. In this regard, find and delete the following files from your computer:-
Clean the Windows Registry
Finally you need to delete the registry entries created by this dangerous Trojan virus. You have to open the start menu, and select “Run” option, where you have to write the “RegEdit” command, before pressing the “OK” button. When the registry editor started, you have to navigate towards following registry entries, and remove them quickly:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Trojan.Downloader.Cutwail.CC\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Trojan.Downloader.Cutwail.CC\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Trojan.Downloader.Cutwail.CC\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Trojan.Downloader.Cutwail.CC\DisplayName Trojan.Downloader.Cutwail.CC
Do not forget to close the registry editor window, and restart the computer in the normal mode to see the success of your manual removal efforts. Update your antivirus program, and run a complete system scan