The Trojan.Agent/Gen-Qhost is a hazardous computer infection that is classified as a Trojan horse. The cyber crooks developed, and distributed this malicious Trojan to infect the personal computers using windows operating system, and perform harmful activities silently, by remaining resident in the background. It hides itself deep in the roots of the system files folder, and can replicate itself easily. The hackers use the online movie websites to spread this Trojan horse. Once the Trojan.Agent/Gen-Qhost enters in the system, it modifies the windows registry by adding corrupt entries. This malicious application is responsible for displaying the pop-up messages to promote certain types of products, and generate traffic on the low ranked websites. The hackers use this virus as a tool to display the deceptive marketing messages by showing misleading ads through pop-up alerts. It disables the genuine antivirus application along with other security tools, and alter the windows firewall to avoid any detection or removal effort. This Trojan horse is also used to steal the confidential details of the selected users, and use this personal information in frauds.
Removal of Trojan.Agent/Gen-Qhost
After confirming the availability of the Trojan.Agent/Gen-Qhost virus, you have to take immediate steps to remove this virus in an effective manner. This Trojan horse can be removed by selecting any reliable automatic removal tool that is easily available. Besides that, you can also remove this infection manually, by following the instructions mentioned below:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
The manual removal process can be started as soon as you are able to boot the infected computer in the safe mode. Restart the PC, and press the F8 key repeatedly to see the boot options menu screen while the system is restarted. Select the safe mode option from the list, and press the Enter key to access the safe mode on your system.
End the Malicious Processes
To remove the associated processes of this Trojan horse you have to hold the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together. Click on the processes tab under the task manager window where you can see the list of processes. End the following suspicious processes associated with this computer worm, and close the task manager:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
You have to open the system files folder through file explorer, and remove the following malicious files as quickly as possible:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
It is necessary to clean the windows registry to complete the manual removal process. In this regard, open the registry editor by running the Regedit command through the start menu. After accessing the registry editor, eradicate the following associated entries of the Trojan.Agent/Gen-Qhost:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Trojan.Agent/Gen-Qhost\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Trojan.Agent/Gen-Qhost\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Trojan.Agent/Gen-Qhost\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Trojan.Agent/Gen-Qhost\DisplayName Trojan.Agent/Gen-Qhost
Close the registry and restart the machine in the normal mode to analyze the result of the manual removal program. Open the main interface of your antivirus, and select a complete system scan.