The TimeSink is recently developed and distributed infection that is categorized as an adware, and install on the system as a browser plug-in. This dangerous adware always sneaks in the system when you try to download any video file from an unauthenticated source. The TimeSink adware is basically introduce itself as a search engine application that helps you in surfing on the web. The hackers, and cyber crooks use this adware infection as a tool to make money by displaying the affiliate advertisement on the screen of the infected system. These ads are sent after recording your browsing history according to your interests. This malicious application can infect all types of browsers including the Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, and Mozilla Firefox.
The Manual Removal of TimeSink
Once your system becomes a victim of the TimeSink virus, your objective is to minimize the loss caused by this infection. There are both manual as well as automatic removal options available for you. The automatic removal tools are easy to use, and recommended for the basic level computer users. The manual removal process on the other hand is a bit too much for the inexperience users. The instructions for the manual removal are as under:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
Restart the computer, and press the F8 key repeatedly to access the list of boot options while the system is being restarted. Once the boot options screen is accessed, you have to select the safe mode option from the list, and hit the enter key to terminate the normal mode of operation, and boot the computer in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
After accessing the safe mode of operation, you have to remove the associated processes of the TimeSink infection. Access the windows task manager by holding the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together, and select the Processes tab under the task manager window where you can see all the processes running in the system. Delete the following suspicious processes associated with this adware virus:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
After completing the removal of the associated processes, you have to take care of the associated data of this infection. Open the system files folder, and remove the following associated files of the TimeSink adware virus:-
- %Desktopdir%\TimeSink adware.lnk
- %Programs%\TimeSink adware\TimeSink adware.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
The final and most important step of this process is removing the modifications created by this adware in the windows registry. Open the registry editor by running the “regedit.exe” command through start menu, and, delete the following suspicious entries associated with this malicious application:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\TimeSink adware\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\TimeSink adware
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\TimeSink adware\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\TimeSink adware\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\TimeSink adware\DisplayName TimeSink adware
Restart the PC in the normal mode to see whether the adware is removed successfully or otherwise, and run a system scan through your antivirus program.