The This is a Shellsearch.net is a dangerous computer worm that is classified as a browser hijacker and attacks the windows based PCs secretly. This malicious program is designed by the hackers in order to monitor and control the browsing of the targeted users, and then make money by prmoting low ranked products as well as websites . Once the Shellsearch.net enters in the system, it connects the computer to a server remotely that is managed by the hackers. Once it is connected to that remote server, all your online activities will be monitored, and this is the point when you start receiving the pop-up ads on the screen in the bulk quantity. All of these ads matches to your browsing habits. You will automatically redirected towards phishing websites whenever you try to open a website, and you will be forced to make purchase on such unknown websites. It also makes the system completely slow and often it become unresponsive.
Removal of This is a Shellsearch.net
After knowing that the system is compromised to the Shellsearch.net, you have to find a way to remove this dangerous browser hijacker. There are manual as well as automatic methods available in this regard, from which you have to decide according to your expertise. The manual removal method is detailed below:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
You are required to boot the infected machine in the safe mode to start executing the manual removal process of this browser hijacker. In this regard, you have to restart the system, and access the boot options screen by striking the F8 key continuously while the system is restarted. Select the Safe Mode option from the list and press the Enter key.
End the Malicious Processes
You have to end the associated processes of this virus after accessing the system in the safe mode. Access the windows task manager by holding the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together, and select the Processes tab where you can see the list of processes running in the background. You have to end the following processes one by one:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
You have to get rid of the following associated files of this malicious application by using the file explorer and Delete key:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
Remove the corrupt entries from the windows registry to complete the manual removal method. In this regard, access the registry editor by clicking on the start menu, select Run, and type Regedit.exe before pressing the OK button. Remove the following suspicious entries associated with This is a Shellsearch.net:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Shellsearch.net\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Shellsearch.net\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Shellsearch.net\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Shellsearch.net\DisplayName Shellsearch.net
Analyze the success of the manual removal efforts by restarting the system in the normal mode. Do not forget to run a complete system scan after updating the current antivirus program after successfully removing the infection.