The Malta Police Force is a dangerous computer virus categorized as a ransomware and can limit your access to the system once installed and settled at the computer. Once you become the victim of this ransomware, you can only see a blank screen on which it is mentioned that the Malta Police Force MPF has blocked your access to the system because you are allegedly involved in any illegal activity. Keep in mind this is a fake application that is designed to trap the innocent computer users. You will be asked to pay a certain amount as fine to unlock your PC through your credit card. In reality this is a trap that not only takes your money away, but your personal financial information such as credit card numbers, names, etc are also transferred to the online criminals who can use this information for their ill motives.
The Manual Removal of Malta Police Force
You can delete this virus manually as well as automatically. Both methods have their own advantages and disadvantages. The manual removal of the Malta Police Force virus is a bit complicated and consists of the following steps:-
Start the System in Safe Mode
In order to start removing this ransomware you have to boot the infected machine in the safe mode of operation. With the help of the F8 key you can see the boot options. Select the safe mode and press the Enter key in order to start your computer in the safe mode.
Kill the Associated Processes
The next step of this process is killing the associated processes of the Malta Police Force virus. You can access the windows task manager by holding the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together. Once the task manager is accessed, click the processes tab and remove the following malicious processes associated with the Malta Police Force virus:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Delete the Associated Files
Once done with the above mentioned steps you have to remove the following files associated with this virus and hidden in the system files folder :-
- %Desktopdir%\Malta Police Force MPF.lnk
- %Programs%\Malta Police Force MPF\Malta Police Force MPF.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
After getting rid of the processes, and files you need to clean the windows registry by removing the malicious entries related to this virus. You have to access the registry editor through RgEdit command that can be run through the start menu. Once the registry editor is accessed you can easily remove the following suspicious entries before closing the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Malta Police Force MPF\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Malta Police Force MPF
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Malta Police Force MPF\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Malta Police Force MPF\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Malta Police Force MPF\DisplayName Malta Police Force MPF
Restart the computer once again normally to see the virus is removed successfully or not. Update the existing antivirus software and run a complete system scan on your system.