The Gilda adware is a dangerous browser hijacker that always installed on your default browser as a toolbar. It can infect all types of browsers, including the Mozilla Firefox, Safari, Internet Explorer, and Google Chrome. Mostly this infection comes bundled with the other applications. Once this nasty browser hijacker enters in the system, it modifies the basic settings, including the home page, DNS settings, and default search engine. The The Gilda adware is a serious threat to the privacy of your data, and the sensitive information stored on the system is at high risk. Once this infection settles down in the system, it starts consuming most of your system resources that directly affect the performance of the system. This dangerous adware is used by notorious hackers to generate profit through illegal ways, and online frauds.
Removal of The Gilda adware
You are required to confirm the presence of the Gilda adware before removing this virus. The automatic removal of the Gilda adware is as fast as you can get rid of this browser hijacker in just a few clicks of the mouse. The manual removal process is extremely difficult, and consists of the following steps:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
To start executing the commands of the manual removal method, you need to boot the computer in the safe mode. Reboot the PC to terminate the normal mode, and while the system is restarted, keep hitting the F8 key to access the boot options screen. Select the safe mode option from the list before pressing the Enter key to open the system in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
After accessing the safe mode, you have to kill the associated processes of this malicious browser hijacker. Access the task manager with the help of the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys, and select the Processes tab to see all the processes in your system. Get rid of the following related processes of the Gilda adware before closing the task manager: –
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
Open the system files folder, and remove the following associated files of the Gilda adware with the help of the Delete key:-
- %Desktopdir%\The Gilda adware.lnk
- %Programs%\The Gilda adware\The Gilda adware.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
You must remove the fake entries created in the windows registry to complete this process. Access the registry editor by Selecting the Run option from the start menu, and type “regedit” before pressing the OK button. When the registry editor is accessed, you have to eradicate the following supported entries of the Gilda adware:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\The Gilda adware\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\The Gilda adware
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\The Gilda adware\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\The Gilda adware\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\The Gilda adware\DisplayName The Gilda adware
Reboot the computer in the normal mode, and do not forget to run a complete system scan through an updated version of your current antivirus program.