The Swirlz Toolbar is a lethal computer virus which has the features of both adware as well as spyware. This malicious application installed on the windows based computers as a browser helper object. The Swirlz Toolbar is distributed by the cyber criminals as a freeware, and immediately after settling down in the computer it changes the default browser settings to take complete control of your browsing. These types of infections always use the tracking cookies to track the confidential details of the user. This type of sophisticated computer infections is always dangerous for the security of the system as these programs are capable of opening the backdoor for the other parasites by changing the security settings in the system. The Swirlz Toolbar often installs a fake search engine to manipulate the search results and redirect you towards phishing websites. The hackers use these type of nasty computer infections to generate traffic on their affiliate sites and make commissions from the pay per click programs.
The Manual Removal of Swirlz Toolbar
Once you are able to discover the presence of the Swirlz Toolbar in the system, you need to remove this infection as a top priority to make your system secure. Besides some automatic removal tools, the manual removal process is also available in this regard, which consists of the following instructions:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
These stubborn adware infections cannot be removed by remaining in the normal mode; therefore, you need to access the safe mode. Choose to restart from the start menu, and press the F8 key to access the boot options while the system is restarted. Select the safe mode from the boot options before hitting the Enter key to access the infected PC in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
You can see all the processes running in the background of your system under the Processes tab in the windows task manager. Access the task manager by using the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys, and delete the following associated processes of this threat one by one, before closing the task manager:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].ex
Remove the Associated Data
Once you are able to get rid of the corrupt processes, you have to delete the following files from the system files folder by using the Delete key:-
- %Desktopdir%\Swirlz Toolbar.lnk
- %Programs%\Swirlz Toolbar\Swirlz Toolbar.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
In the end you need to remove the malicious entries associated with the Swirlz Toolbar from the windows registry. In this regard, open the registry editor by clicking on the start menu, select Run and type regedit.exe. Delete the following corrupt entries once the registry editor is accessed:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Swirlz Toolbar\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Swirlz Toolbar
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Swirlz Toolbar\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Swirlz Toolbar\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Swirlz Toolbar\DisplayName Swirlz Toolbar
Restart the system in the normal mode to see how effectively you have removed the infection. Click on the antivirus icon and select the complete system scan from the main interface.