The Swagbucks is a malicious application which is categorized as the browser hijacker. This malware has the ability to change the browser settings such as home page, and default search engines; besides that, it can redirect all your searches towards certain promotional websites. At first look Swagbucks.com looks like a legitimate website that provides useful information to the user on the entertainment subjects such as movies, and music, but actually it is a browser hijacker that is used to promote the low quality products. This malicious application has the ability to track the browsing habits of the user, and deliver the advertisement according to that browsing history. The Swagbucks also deliver unwanted alerts to promote certain products, and annoying pop-up ads which disturbs your daily working. This malicious application must be removed as soon as it is detected on your computer.
Manual Removal Method of Swagbucks
You can remove Swagbucks both manually as well as with the help of any automatic removal tool. The advantage of using automatic tool is, you can delete this virus with complete ease; however if you want to remove it manually, you have to follow the instructions mentioned here. Keep in mind that the manual removal method only successful if you are well aware about the registry entries, and malicious files. Following are the detailed instructions about how to remove the Swagbucks manually:-
Start the Computer in Safe Mode
The first step of manual removal process is to reboot the computer in the safe mode by terminating the normal mode. You have to restart the PC, and press F8 key to see the options about boots. Select safe mode option from the list to restart the computer in the safe mode.
Delete the Malicious Processes
After starting the machine in safe mode, you need to end the malicious processes attached to this threat. To end the processes, you have to open the task manager window by pressing the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys, and hit the processes tab. Here you can see all the running processes in the background. You have to delete the following processes from the list:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Delete the Associated Files
After killing the associated processes you have to delete the files and folders related to this malicious application. In this regard, you have to remove the following files after locating them by using the file explorer:-
- %Desktopdir%\SwagBucks virus.lnk
- %Programs%\SwagBucks virus\SwagBucks virus.lnk
Delete Registry Entries
Last but not least, you have to clean the windows registry as well. In this regard, you need to open the registry editor by clicking on the start button, select run, and type regedit in the box. Once the registry editor is started, you have to remove the following corrupt entries:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\SwagBucks virus\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\SwagBucks virus
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\SwagBucks virus\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\SwagBucks virus\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\SwagBucks virus\DisplayName SwagBucks virus
Start the system in the normal mode after closing the registry editor window to see the effect of changes you have just made.