The Storagemen.net is a recently launched browser hijacker that has infected thoudsands of the windows based systems all over the world in the past few weeks. The Storagemen.net always hide itself as a useful domain that provides you better search results, but this is nothing more than a cyber trap set by the cyber crooks to attack the targeted users, and steal their hard earned money. The main symptom of this infection is, when you open your browser, you will see a new home page, and when you try to search on the web, you will be surprised to see a brand new search engine. All such changes are made by this malicious application without your permission. The objective of the hackers is to control your online activities and access the data required for the cyber frauds. Often this browser hijacker is used to generate traffic on the affiliate sites and make money from the pay per click programs. It also makes your computer extremely slow and start showing frequent system errors.
Removal of Storagemen.net
Once it is confirmed that the Storagemen.net browser hijacker is present inside your system, you have to remove it completely. This malicious application can be removed automatically as well as manually. Both methods have their own advantages as well as disadvantages, and you have to select according to your strengths. The instructions for the manual removal are as under:-
Reboot the System in The Safe Mode
It is compulsory to access the infected system in the safe mode to start the manual removal process. In this regard, restart the PC, and strike the F8 key repeatedly to access the list of boot options. Select the safe mode from the list of boot options, and hit the Enter key to access the safe mode operation.
End the Malicious Processes
After accessing the safe mode, you have to open the task manager by pressing the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together, and click on the processes tab where you can see the list of processes running in the background. Delete of the following processes as quickly as possible:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
After completing the removal of suspicious process you have to open the system files folder, and remove the following associated files of the Storagemen.net by using the Delete key:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
The process will be completed when you remove the modifications created by the Storagemen.net virus in the windows registry. In this regard, open the registry editor through Regedit command that you can execute from the Run option of the Start menu. Once the registry editor is accessed, you have to remove the following entries:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Storagemen.net\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Storagemen.net\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Storagemen.net\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Storagemen.net\DisplayName Storagemen.net
Restart the system in the normal mode after closing the registry editor to check the success of your efforts, and run a complete system scan to remove any infections caused by this virus.