The Squirrel Web is a malicious application that is categorized as a nasty adware program that slips in the computer secretly, and remain resident for a longer period of time if not removed effectively. The Squirrel Web is an adware that is developed by the hackers to display the fake pop-up messages regarding discounted offers and coupon deals. It claims that there are several well known shopping websites are on its lists, but in reality this is an adware that is developed by the hackers with the clear intention of collecting the sensitive details of the targeted users. The Squirrel Web belongs to the well known, and lethal family of spyware, and it installed on the system as a browser extension. Once this dangerous adware infects the system, it will immediately change the browser settings such as home page, desktop background, and default search engine. It keeps redirecting your web searches towards unknown websites where you are encouraged to buy unwanted products from the unknown suppliers.
Removal of Squirrel Web
The Squirrel Web is a serious threat for the privacy of your computer, and should be removed after confirming its presence. You can use any reliable automatic tool to get rid of this infection within quick time. The manual removal of this nasty adware program is also possible, but it is extremely difficult for the novice computer users, and described below:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
It is extremely important that you must start the system in the safe mode. Restart the computer from the Start menu, and strike the F8 key repeatedly while the system is restarted to access the boot options. Select the safe mode option before pressing the Enter key after accessing the boot options screen.
End the Malicious Processes
The next important step of the manual process is getting rid of the associated processes of this adware infection. In this regard, you have to hold the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together to open the windows task manager, and click on the Processes tab under the task manager window. End the following associated processes of the Squirrel Web:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].ex
Remove the Associated Data
You are required to get rid of the following suspicious files from the system files folder with the help of the Delete key:-
- %Desktopdir%\Squirrel Web.lnk
- %Programs%\Squirrel Web\Squirrel Web.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
Remove the modifications created by this virus in the windows registry. In this regard, you have to open the registry editor by executing the Regedit command through the Run option available in the Start menu. Delete the following associated entries of the Squirrel Web from the windows registry before closing the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Squirrel Web\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Squirrel Web
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Squirrel Web\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Squirrel Web\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Squirrel Web\DisplayName Squirrel Web
Restart the system in the normal mode to see how effectively you are able to follow the instructions, and run a complete system scan through the updated version of any powerful antivirus program.