The Social Privacy Virus is a completely fake browser extension that often installed on the windows based computers without getting the permission from the user. Once installed, the Social Privacy Virus immediately modifies the proxy settings inside the infected computer to redirect the browser towards unwanted phishing websites. There are myriad ways through which this nasty infection attacks the computers, including the removable storage devices, unsafe browsing, p2p sharing of files, and clicking on the compromised links. Once installed successfully, it will keep redirecting you towards different unwanted websites where you are encouraged to buy certain types of products from the unknown suppliers. Apart from that, this application also uses the tracking cookies, and other latest techniques to track your online activities, as well as the personal confidential financial details. After collecting this precious information, this information is then transferred to the hackers who use it for their illegal financial benefits.
Removal of Social Privacy Virus
The Social Privacy Virus is a dangerous browser extension that can be extremely lethal if not removed in time. You can get rid of this virus either by using any powerful automatic removal tool, or by following the complicated instructions of the manual removal method. The manual process is only recommended for the advanced level users, and described as under:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
You cannot remove this type of stubborn computer worm by remaining in the normal mode of operation. Terminate the normal mode by restarting the system, and access the boot options menu by striking the F8 key repeatedly while the system is restarted. Once the list of boot options is visible on the screen, you have to select the Safe Mode option through the arrow keys, before pressing the Enter key.
End the Malicious Processes
Once you access the safe mode on the infected machine, the next step is, removing the associated processes of this malicious virus. In this regard, access the task manager by holding the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together, and click on the processes tab once the task manager is accessed. Remove the following malicious processes before closing the task manager:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
After getting rid of the associated processes, you have to remove the following suspicious files along with their folder by using the Delete key:-
- %Desktopdir%\Social Privacy Virus.lnk
- %Programs%\Social Privacy Virus\Social Privacy Virus.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
The process will be completed when you clean the windows registry by removing the unwanted additions made by this virus. Execute the RegEdit command through the Run option of Start Menu in order to access the registry editor. Remove the following corrupt entries from the windows registry by using the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Social Privacy Virus\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Social Privacy Virus
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Social Privacy Virus\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Social Privacy Virus\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Social Privacy Virus\DisplayName Social Privacy Virus
Close the registry editor, and restart the computer in the normal mode. If the virus is removed successfully, run a complete system scan through any updated antivirus software.