The SmartOfferDisplay is malicious application that is classified as a stealthy adware infection. It is designed to take over the windows based computers in a way that it can cause permanent damage. The SmartOfferDisplay is a nasty adware infection that attacks the targeted computers while downloading the shareware, peer to peer sharing, junk mail attachments, and removable media devices. Once installed, it stops you visiting your desired websites, and floods your screen through the annoying pop-up ads. It is capable of recording your key strokes, and browsing history in order to access your most confidential details such as bank account credentials, credit card details, email passwords and browsing preferences. It hides itself wisely in a way that you cannot remove it through the traditional removing methods. Besides above mentioned damage, the SmartOfferDisplay can change the security settings in your system and invite the more parasites after disabling your existing antivirus tools. It also slows down the speed of your browsing considerably.
Manual Removal of Ads by SmartOfferDisplay
Once installed, this adware infection is not easy to remove; therefore, you need to find an effective way in this regard. There are some reliable tools available to remove this infection automatically. Manual removal method is also effective in this regard that consists of the following steps:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
You cannot remove this adware by remaining in the normal mode of operation; therefore, accessing the safe mode on the infected system is unavoidable. Restart the computer, and use the F8 key to see the boot options screen. Select the safe mode option from the available list and press the Enter key to open the computer in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
Hold the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together to access the task manager and click on the processes tab to see a list of processes running in the background of your system. Remove the following associated processes of the SmartOfferDisplay: –
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
After completing the removal of the associated processes, you have to get rid of the corrupt files downloaded by this infection. In this regard, following are some of the suspicious files that are required to be removed from the system files folder:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
You have to reverse the modifications made by this virus in the registry section of your operating system. Access the registry editor by clicking on the Start menu, select Run and type RegEdit in the box. Clean the windows registry by removing the following associated entries of this adware infection:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ SmartOfferDisplay\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ SmartOfferDisplay
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ SmartOfferDisplay\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ SmartOfferDisplay\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ SmartOfferDisplay\DisplayName SmartOfferDisplay
To see the effectiveness of your manual removal efforts, you need to access the system in the normal mode. Run a complete system scan through an updated version of your antivirus program.