The Smart Security Rogue is a dangerous virus which comes under the category of rogue viruses. It is a fake antivirus that presents itself as a useful application. Soon after installing it on any windows based computer, the Smart Security Rogue performs a fake scan on the system, and show that there are a number of errors available in your computer. When you try to fix these errors, you are asked to buy the paid version of this software, and when innocent users try to buy this fake antivirus, they actually not only lose their money, but their confidential data such as emails, passwords, personal details, credit card numbers, and shopping preferences also transferred to the hackers. This malicious application attracts innocent computer users by promoting their software as “full time protection”; however, one thing you need to keep in mind is, this is a fake program developed to trap the users. Once installed, it also reduces the performance of the computer.
The Manual Removal of Smart Security Rogue
When it is confirmed that the Smart Security Rogue is present in your system, you have to delete this virus at your earliest. There are different ways of removing this virus for example automatic removal tools are there to get rid of this infection easily. The manual removal method is also available that consists of the following steps :-
Start Your Computer in the Safe Mode
First of all, restart the System, and use F8 key to access the list of boot options. Select the safe mode option from the list and press the enter key to restart the computer in the safe mode. .
Delete the Processes through Windows Task Manager
Once the computer starts working in the safe mode, you have to kill the malicious processes related to this virus. You can see these processes under the processes tab of the task manager which can be accessed by pressing the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together. Once the list of running processes is visible, you have to delete the following associated processes from the list:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Delete the Associated Data
You have to get rid of the associated data of this virus. In this regard following are the files that needed to be deleted quickly:-
- %Desktopdir%\Smart Security.lnk
- %Programs%\Smart Security\Smart Security.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
To clean the windows registry from the corrupt entries created by the Smart Security Rogue, you have to open the registry editor. The registry editor can be accessed by executing the RegEdit command through Run option available in the start menu. You have to delete the following entries through the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Smart Security\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Smart Security
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Smart Security\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Smart Security\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Smart Security\DisplayName Smart Security
Once the above mentioned entries are removed successfully, close the registry editor window and restart the system in the normal mode.