The Sleeper infection is a recently distributed adware program that spreads through the porn websites, spam email campaigns, and unsafe browsing. The Sleeper is also known as PUP. Sleeper and hackers use this tool to trap the innocent computer users. Like all other adware programs, the Sleeper infection is also designed for the commercial purposes to earn money through un-ethical methods. The adware is used to generate sales leads for the low ranked affiliate websites. This malicious application settles down in the computer by taking advantage of the security flaws in the system. The Sleeper infection is designed in a way that it is capable of recording the data, and online activities. After collecting your browsing history, it will be transferred to the hackers who then use it to display the targeted pop-up ads according to your interests.
The Manual Removal of Sleeper
You have to take solid steps to get rid of the Sleeper infection once it is found inside the system. There are some reliable automatic tools available through which you can remove this adware program quickly. Besides that, the manual removal is also possible that is difficult task for the novice users. The steps involved in the manual removal of this malicious application are detailed below:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
You must boot the system in the safe mode instead of the normal mode. Restart the computer, and press the F8 key repeatedly to access the boot options menu. Once you are able to see the list of boot options, you have to select the safe mode option, and hit the enter key to boot the computer in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
After accessing the safe mode, you have to open the windows task manager by holding the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together. You can see a list of all the running processes under the processes tab in the windows task manager. You are required to delete the following associated processes of the Sleeper adware infection by using the “End Process” button:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
You have to remove the associated files of the Sleeper infection. In this regard, following are the files that are needed to be removed from the system files folder:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
The last but not least, you have to remove the malicious entries from the windows registry. Start the registry editor by clicking on the start menu, select “Run”, and write “regedit.exe” before pressing the “OK” button. Delete the following entries once you are able to start the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Sleeper\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Sleeper\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Sleeper\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Sleeper\DisplayName Sleeper
Close the registry editor and boot the system again in the normal mode to see the success of the manual removal process. Run a complete system scan after updating the current antivirus application to remove the infections caused by the Sleeper adware program.