The Similar Products adware has been a recently distributed windows based computer infection that has infected thousands of the computers in the different countries of the world. This malicious application sneaks in the system while visiting porn sites, streaming live video files, downloading entertainment stuff, and clicking the corrupt social media links. It downloads as a browser extension to all the major browsers like Firefox, Chrome, and Internet Explorer. The main function of this lethal computer virus is to display annoying pop-up advertisement on the screens of the infected systems. This is done by the cyber crooks to earn commissions for running the ad campaigns, and promote affiliate products. Besides that, some hackers use this tool in order to generate traffic on the low ranked websites.The Similar Products adware is capable of recording your online activities like browsing history, and cookies.
The Manual Removal of Similar Products adware
After discovering the Similar Products adware in your PC, we recommend strongly to remove this lethal infection from the system without wasting a single minute. If you are a novice user, there are some reliable and powerful automatic tools available through which you can remove this infection easily. If you prefer the manual removal, following are the steps you need to cover:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
Before starting the actual removal process, you have to reboot the PC to terminate the normal mode of operation. While the system is restarting, you have to hit the F8 key repeatedly that brings a boot options menu on the screen. You have to select the safe mode and press the Enter key to restart the computer in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
To kill the malicious processes asscoaited to this infection, you have to access the windows task manager by using the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together. You can see a list of running processes under the processes tab of the task manager window,You have to end the following malicious processes one by one using the “End Process” button:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
Open the file explorer, proceed to the system files folder, and delete the following malicious files that are associated with the Similar Products adware:-
- %Desktopdir%\Similar Products adware.lnk
- %Programs%\Similar Products adware\Similar Products adware.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
Open the registry editor by clicking on the start menu, select Run option, and execute the “regedit.exe” command to clean the windows registry. Remove the following corrupt entries created by this adware infection, and close the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Similar Products adware\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Similar Products adware
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Similar Products adware\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Similar Products adware\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Similar Products adware\DisplayName Similar Products adware
Restart the computer but this time in the normal mode to see the success of the manual removal process. If the Similar Products adware is removed successfully, you should run a complete system scan through an updated version of any reliable antivirus program.