The ShopAtHome.com is a dangerous threat for the system that is categorized as a lethal browser hijacker that often invades the system without the permission of the user, and performs several harmful activities. Once installed it changes the browser settings, and takes the control of your browsing in order to dictate its own terms. This malicious application introduces itself as a browser adds-on but actually it is nothing more than a browser hijacker. There are various components of this infection that are connected with the advanced techniques; therefore, it is impossible to delete this virus through any powerful antivirus program. Besides hijacking the browser, this dangerous infection also acts as a spyware, and creates the data privacy issues in the system. It keeps diverting your searches towards unknown websites, and modifies the default settings of the browser. You are unable to perform your daily tasks in the presence of the ShopAtHome.com infection as it keeps sending annoying pop-up ads.
The Manual Removal of ShopAtHome.com
After discovering the ShopAtHome.com virus inside your system, you have to delete this infection without wasting any time. You can remove this virus manually as well as automatically, but the manual removal method is extremely difficult for the inexperienced users. Following are the instructions for the manual removal of this virus:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
Before starting the manual removal process, the system must be booted in the safe mode instead of the normal mode. Restart the system to access the boot options menu through F8 key, and select the Safe Mode option once the boot options displayed on the screen before hitting the Enter key to start the system in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
It is time to end the malicious processes related to the ShopAtHome.com infection. Open the windows task manager with the help of Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together, and select the processes tab where you can see the list of processes running in the background. Remove the following associated process of this virus by using the End Process button before closing the task manager window:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
The next step of this process is removal of the associated data of this virus. You have to delete the following suspicious files from the system files folder:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
You also need to remove the changes made by this infection the registry section of your operating system. Access the start menu, select Run option, and type Regedit in the box to start the registry editor. Once the registry editor is accessed, delete the following suspicious entries associated with the ShopAtHome.com:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Shopathome.com\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Shopathome.com\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Shopathome.com\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Shopathome.com\DisplayName Shopathome.com
Restart the system in the normal mode to see how effectively you have followed the instructions. Update the antivirus, and run a system scan before start using the system.