The SeeSimilar.com is a notorious computer virus that comes under the category of redirect virus and enters in the system without the consent of the user. Initially it appears as a browser plugin for all the major browsers including Safari, Firefox, Chrome and Explorer. This malicious application has several names such as SeeSimilar.com, See Similar app, SeeSimilar.com redirect, and SeeSimilar redirect search engine. Once installed, it has the ability to redirect all your searches towards malicious websites where you can get additional infections. This is purely for the purpose of traffic generation. Besides that, this malicious application also runs the annoying pop-up ads on the screen to disturb your normal browsing. These ads are promotional purposes to promote certain products from unknown suppliers and make commissions. This malicious redirect virus makes your system super slow by capturing the system resources, and you will also experience that the computer restarted automatically. This virus also changes the settings of your browser in order to remain resident in the system. The hackers also use this tool to track your only activity, steal your financial data, and then use these details for the fraudulent means.
The Manual Removal of SeeSimilar.com
Once the presence of this malicious application is confirmed in your computer, you have to remove this application completely. There are manual as well as automatic methods available to remove this malicious application. The manual removal method is complicated and only recommended to the experienced users. Following are the instructions for manual removal of this infection:-
Start the System in Safe Mode
In order to start the computer in the safe mode instead of the normal mode, you have to restart the computer, and use F8 key to open the boot options. Once the boot options are accessed, you have to select the safe mode option and hit the enter key to restart the machine in the safe mode.
Kill the Associated Processes
The next step of this long and complicated process is killing the associated processes of the SeeSimilar.com. You can remove these processes by accessing the processes tab available in the windows task manager that can be accessed by holding the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together. Once you are able to see all the running processes on your system, you have to remove the following malicious processes:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Delete the Associated Files
The next thing you have to do is removal of the associated data. Remove the following files from the system files folder:-
- %Desktopdir%\SeeSimilar.com Search Redirect.lnk
- %Programs%\SeeSimilar.com Search Redirect\SeeSimilar.com Search Redirect.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
Open the start menu, select Run, and type RegEdit in the box to access the windows registry. Once the registry editor is opened, you have to find and delete the following corrupt entries, and close the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\SeeSimilar.com Search Redirect\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\SeeSimilar.com Search Redirect
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\SeeSimilar.com Search Redirect\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\SeeSimilar.com Search Redirect\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\SeeSimilar.com Search Redirect\DisplayName SeeSimilar.com Search Redirect
Restart the computer in the normal mode, and update your existing anti virus program to run a system scan on the PC.