The Secure.win-update.com is another addition in the recently developed deadly dangerous browser hijacker that can take all your browsing activities beyond your control. This nasty infection often arrived in the windows based computers while downloading the update of a popular program from an un-authenticated source. Once this worm enters in the system, it immediately alters your system files folder, and creates malicious files. It attacks the windows registry, and creates fake start-up keys in the registry section of your operating system. After altering the basic browser settings, the home page, default search engine, as well as privacy settings are changed without your permission and you are unable to reverse the changes. It keep sending you the malicious links, and promotional material in order to drive traffic on the already compromised web pages. The purpose of developing such lethal tool is to make money through illegal means, online frauds, and pay per click programs. Once the Secure.win-update.com pop-up make its way in the system, it will remove the important system files due to which you will face huge slowdown in the speed of your system.
Manual Removal of Ads by Secure.win-update.com pop-up
After receiving the Secure.win-update.com pop-up browser hijacker in your computer, your first priority should be to get rid of this infection at the earliest. In this regard, you have to remove this infection either with the help of an automatic removal tool, or by following the instructions of the manual removal method that are given below:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
These types of stubborn browser hijackers can be removed only by accessing the system in the safe mode. Restart the system, and access the boot options screen by using the F8 key. Select the Safe Mode option from the boot options list and press the Enter key.
End the Malicious Processes
After accessing the safe mode, you have to open the task manager by pressing the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together. Under the task manager window, you have to click on the processes tab to find as well as remove the following malicious processes associated with this browser hijacker: –
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
Get rid of the following corrupt files associated with the Secure.win-update.com pop-up from the system files folder:-
- %Desktopdir%\Secure.win-update.com pop-up.lnk
- %Programs%\Secure.win-update.com pop-up\Secure.win-update.com pop-up.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
Clean the windows registry by reversing the modifications made by this virus in the windows registry. Access the registry editor by running the RegEdit command through the Start Menu. You have to remove the following associated entries of the Secure.win-update.com pop-up, by using the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Secure.win-update.com pop-up\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Secure.win-update.com pop-up
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Secure.win-update.com pop-up\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Secure.win-update.com pop-up\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Secure.win-update.com pop-up\DisplayNameSecure.win-update.com pop-upp
Reboot the computer in the normal mode and if the virus is removed successfully, update your existing antivirus program, and run a complete system scan.