The Searcholder.com is a newly discovered browser hijacker that has infected the browsers like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Internet Explorer in the recent years. This malicious browser hijacker is spread through p2p sharing, freeware download, bundle download, and spam email attachments. Normally this application is designed to disturb your browsing activities by displaying countless pop-up ads on the screen whenever you try to open any website. These ads are actually for commercial purposes, and encourage you to buy unwanted products from the unknown suppliers. Besides that, all your browsing efforts and searches are diverted or redirected towards some unknown websites and all this activity is purely for commercial reasons in order to generate the traffic on the low ranked websites. This malicious application also modifies your registry entries and remove some of the important system files. Moreover, it also disables your antivirus program and modify the windows firewall to make your PC a junkyard of parasites.
The Manual Removal of Searcholder.com
After discovering that your computer is under attack by the Searcholder.com, you need to remove this infection effectively. There are some reliable automatic tools available to get rid of this virus within just a few minutes. However, the manual removal method is also there that consists of the following steps:-
Start the System in Safe Mode
First of all you have to restart the computer in the safe mode. Restart the system, and access the list of boot options with the help of the F8 key. Once you are able to see the list on the screen of your PC, you have to select the safe mode and press the Enter key to boot the computer in the safe mode.
Kill the Associated Processes
After starting the computer in the safe mode, the next step is, killing the associated processes of this malicious application. Open the windows task manager by using the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys to see the list of running processes on your computer, that is available under the processes tab of the task manager. End the following processes from the list and close the windows task manager:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Delete the Associated Files
Once you have removed the associated processes, your next task is, find and remove the following suspicious files that are hidden in the system files folder:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
The final step of this manual removal process is cleaning the windows registry. You have to access the registry editor, by executing the RegEdit command through Run option available in the start menu, and delete the following associated entries of the Searcholder.com:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Searcholder.com\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Searcholder.com\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Searcholder.com\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Searcholder.com\DisplayName Searcholder.com
Once done with all the above mentioned steps, you are required to reboot the system in the normal mode and run a complete system scan through an updated version of the antivirus program to remove the infections caused by this dangerous browser hijacker.